1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Issue updating 3n to new firmware....any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by bopfan, Oct 25, 2013.

1. bopfan

bopfan TalkEmount Regular

Jul 21, 2013
    Worthington, Ohio
    Denny
    Today I picked up a used 3N body for a song. It works perfectly. Sensor is a little dusty but other than that it is fine. Shot some stills, videos, flash works etc. It currently has version 1.00 on it. I believe that's what came from the factory. It appears that the most current version is 05.

So I prepped the camera for updating the firmware. Downloaded the update to my Mac (which I had to restart in 32 bit mode!). Ran the software. Followed directions exactly. 5 times. But it seems as if the software can't find the NEX. Strange because the Mac wants to download the images off of the SD card in to iPhoto. So the usb cable seems ok. The Mac is seeing the card. But not sure it is seeing the NEX.

Anyone have any ideas. I feel fortunate that the update process has not bricked the camera.

I have successfully updated by C3 and my 5R. So hoping that someone has some clues as to what is up.

Tried two different usb cables.

Thanks

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I don't have a 3N, but that statement made alarms go off in my head. Is the update that old?

And I don't see any firmware updates for the 3N on the U.S. Sony site. Strange.

3. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    Hi. I don't remember it clearly but i think you should put the nex camera in either usb storage mode or mtp mode if you're going to do an FW upgrade (I forgot which though). You should find the option in the settings menu on your NEX.

4. bopfan

Jul 21, 2013
    Worthington, Ohio
    Denny
    Thanks.

Tabibito: I tried both the 'mass storage' setting and the 'auto' setting. The downloaded software package still did not recognize the camera.

WoodWorks: Having to restart the Mac in 32 bit mode set off alarms for you? Me too. What the heck is with Sony? Are they that far behind the 8 ball? Here is the URL for the update: http://esupport.sony.com/swu/7248/US/EN/

File:NEX-3V5_Update1112a.dmg Date:12/15/2011 Version:05 Size:61.44 MB

So it appears to be a rather old update! 2011. Seems weird to me also. But the camera I bought is showing that it is at Version 1.00. Is it possible that I am misreading or misinterpreting the versions. My 5R is on version 1.02. Not sure what that is worth....maybe there were more updates to the 3 series NEX cameras?

The 3N that I bought says that it is a Version 1.0 Lens/Mount Adapter is at Version 02. But the Sony website is showing a Version 5. It even describes the improvements over version 4.

Maybe we can get someone with a NEX 3 to check the version in their camera. It seems as if the update on the Sony site is applicable to the 3 and the 3N. At least I think so; as I can't find anything that says specifically 3N.

5. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I think I see the problem, and also why I couldn't find the firmware update: that update is for the (old) NEX-3, not the NEX-3N. No wonder the update can't find the camera, it was released before the 3N existed.

• Like Like x 1
  6. bopfan

Jul 21, 2013
    Worthington, Ohio
    Denny
    Aha. WoodWorks. So the update for the 3 would not work on the 3N. Well, that was restating the obvious! So apparently there is no update for the 3n? I just revisited the Sony site. And entered all of the data for the 3N and, as far as I can tell, nothing came up for a firmware update.

7. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    That's the same result I got, so...

8. bopfan

Jul 21, 2013
    Worthington, Ohio
    Denny
    Well ok then. Thanks so much for your detective work. Really appreciate it. I guess the N in 3N really means NEW. As in updated. Current. Up to speed. Etc. :026:

9. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    Well, glad you found out why it didn't work. Too bad you can't get a newer firmware :)

10. bopfan

Jul 21, 2013
    Worthington, Ohio
    Denny
    Tabibito: well I think it is running the latest firmware. came installed from the factory. the 3N is not that old of a model