1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Islington Angel Canal Festival

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by Iansky, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Iansky

Iansky TalkEmount Regular

Sep 12, 2018
    Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Graham
    We attended the annual Angel Festival that is held in Islington, London every year.

It has been running for more than 30yrs and it was started in the 1980's by the late Crystal Hale as a fundraising event for the narrow boat "Angel", used to give inner-city children boat rides and trips into the countryside.

It is always very well attended and this was our 13th year participating as part of the stall holders.

The weather was stunning and this in turn brought out the crowds - a superb day.

These are some of the photos I took at the festival and rather than focus on the crowds of attendees I wanted to capture some individual images as well as some stall holders and musicians.

For those interested, the full set can be seen on my blog here - 571 Photography: The Angel Canal Festival - Islington

Apologies for it being an image heavy post

ILG00132-2-FrameShop. ILG00144-2-FrameShop. ILG00147-2-FrameShop. ILG00148-2-FrameShop. ILG00153-2-FrameShop. ILG00160-2-FrameShop. ILG00176-2-FrameShop. ILG00180-2-FrameShop. ILG00184-2-FrameShop. ILG00190-2-FrameShop.

• Like Like x 11
    • Winner Winner x 5
  2. DaveC

DaveC TalkEmount Regular

Aug 5, 2017
    No need to apologise as far as I'm concerned. It really looks like a great atmosphere, being enjoyed by all

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Excellent shots! Especially that BBQ! ;) 

The lens is crispy sharp with a lot of 3D pop. Can't see why this lens isn't universally liked.

• Like Like x 1
  4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Fun place to spend a few hours :) 

• Like Like x 1
  5. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    Some great candid shots. Looks like a very happy day :) 

• Like Like x 1
  6. Iansky

Sep 12, 2018
    Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Graham
    Thanks all, it was a well attended event with a real mix of friendly people, good music of many varieties and good food - this is the 13th year we have attended so many familiar faces.

I agree Will, this lens is superb as well as being a very compact size - it has superb build quality and delivers nice sharp images so like you I cannot understand the ridicule it gets from some.

7. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    Great set Ian, I was going to comment on the lens too, I really am puzzled why it's gets bad press, your shots are excellent.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Iansky

Sep 12, 2018
    Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Graham
    Thanks Paul, I am loving this combo and now just waiting for the 85mm to arrive - it is due tomorrow...........I hope.

9. runnerpsu

runnerpsu TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    Nice set, Ian! Looks like a fun festival.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Iansky

Sep 12, 2018
    Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Graham
    Thanks runnerpsu, it was a great event as usual and very well attended - weather was sunny...........what more could we ask for.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    Great set. Looks like you're getting a good feel for the A7III! Yeah, the 24-70mm f4 gets a bad rap. I had one and thought it worked great!

• Like Like x 1
  12. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Feb 17, 2015
    I hate to say this, but can a picture be too sharp?
    Dang those are crisp images Ian.
    Nice work!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Iansky

Sep 12, 2018
    Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Graham
    Thanks JonathanF2 and AlwaysOnAuto for the kind words.

I am not finding any issues with sharpness on this lens even on the edges and it is so well made.

14. cheeks69

cheeks69 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 24, 2017
    Robert
    Great candid portraits and atmosphere, excellent work Ian !

• Like Like x 1
  15. Iansky

Sep 12, 2018
    Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Graham
    Thanks Robert, it was a great event to capture some candid work and everyone was willing if asked.

16. mstphoto

mstphoto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 26, 2016
    Aberdeen, NE Scotland
    Mike Stephen
    Another fantastic set of images!!
    Keep'em coming ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  17. Iansky

Sep 12, 2018
    Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Graham
    Thanks Mike, it all came together well and the Sony delivered!

18. SpecFoto

SpecFoto TalkEmount Rookie Subscribing Member

Sep 1, 2018
    So Cal Desert
    Jim
    Don't know if it is your processing, but I don't feel that I could have gotten the same results with my Olympus 12-40 f2.8, an excellent lens, even with the G9. These zoom shots are really great Ian, with lots of "pop". I stayed away from a zoom when building my Sony kit and went with primes, as knowing the Sony has more MP and supposedly better IQ, this is the type of result I was looking for and I wanted the sharpest lenses to start with. Can you talk about your processing a bit? I really look forward to your photos with the FE 85mm f1.8, in my one day of shooting with it so far, I found it to be a stellar lens.

19. Iansky

Sep 12, 2018
    Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Graham
    Thank you Jim for the kind words.
    I know the Sony Zeiss 24-70 f4 OSS has sometimes had bad press but I find it is a superb lens that really delivers stellar results that I am very happy with.
    I use LR for editing and ensure the highlights / shadows are not blown and then use about 10 contrast, around 12 clarity and 6 Dehaze, medium curve and a small amount of sharpening and then out put to CC to add the border and that's it.
    I am finding that the colours on this new sensor are very good straight out of camera .
    I hope this helps?

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.