1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Is worth to get Zeiss Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm f/4 ZA OSS Lens ????

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Yadex, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Yadex

Yadex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    New Jersey
  2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    If you want a lens with this focal length / aperture combination, sure, go for it. It's not the best zoom lens out there, but for the price, size and weight it's totally okay.

3. Yadex

Yadex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    New Jersey
    This call my attention more for the price Sony E PZ 18-105mm f/4 G OSS Lens
    4uvete9u.
    I just want to get a decent zoom lens and a nice lens for low ligth

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    At f/4, I don't think either of those lenses would be considered a great low light lens.

5. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I have the 18105G. It's a great lens for the price, aperture and zoom range. It is much bigger than the Zeiss, but I it's also cheaper with comparable image quality and more flexibility.

That said, it is not a low-light wonder; it's decent at F4 with OSS. If you don't mind shooting @ ISO3200 I can recommend it.

6. bljarv

bljarv New to TalkEmount

Mar 5, 2014
    I personally think this lens is way too expensive for "totally okay." I have also been wondering about this lens to get something sharper and a bit more versatile than the NEX 6's kit lens, but I just can't justify it.

Sent from my SM-P600 using TalkEmount mobile app

7. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    I just saw on sonyalpharumors that it might be discontinued with a replacement announced on May 1.

I have been looking at this lens too. I am not a fan of PZ and would like to get a decent zoom to replace my kit PZ 16-50. I have what I would consider to be the A Mount version of this lens. It is about the same price but with a variable aperture and a reach out to 80. The A Mount version has always been kind of considered a just okay lens too, but I do have to say that it became my favorite and most used A Mount lens!

What would people recommend as a better zoom to meet Yadex' need? Is the 18-55 a good choice given the low cost? Is there a better (faster) zoom that covers a similar range?

Sorry to hijack a bit, but I am looking for the same thing ;-)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

8. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Don't believe all the rumors. Sony won't discontinue such a new lens as designing and developing lenses is damn expensive. If there is an update, it's either a firmware update or a tiny hardware update, like new coatings (unlikely, as it already got Zeiss T* coatings), weather sealing or something similar. Maybe a change in the production process. They won't change the optical design.

The 18-55 for low light? Forget it. If you want a zoom in that range and use it in low light too, either get the 16-70 f/4 or the A-mount 16-50 f/2.8. You'd loose OSS, but the one stop faster aperture is worth much more in many situations. Then, there's also the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, but I'm afraid there's neither A- nor E-mount versions, so you wouldn't even get AF.

For low light, though, nothing beats primes. Sony has a great line-up of f/1.8 primes, including the 24mm Sonnar, the 35mm and 50mm OSS and the 55mm FE.

9. Yadex

Yadex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    New Jersey
    what i meant to say was i will like also to buy a nice low light lens aditional to the zoom lens...

and i will like to get sharper images than what i can get with the 18-55 kit lens, sel 55-210mm and the tamaron 70-300mm

10. 13thfloorphotography

13thfloorphotography New to TalkEmount

Apr 28, 2014
    West Los Angeles
  11. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
  12. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Great point Poki. I am not familiar enough with the lens to say, but I am curious, based on your comment, if it would be possible for this lens to be "repositioned" as an FE lens? Is there a baffle that could be removed, or some minor modification made to allow for that?

What I would love to see is a weather sealed version that could indicate a version next APS-C body with weather sealing. Unfortunately, I am not betting on that one! ;-)

Yadex, back to your original question and clarification - I have been impressed with what I have seen from the faster Sony primes. I own the 50 1.8 and I have played with the 35 1.8 in the store from my exposure, I would definitely recommend either of those to fill the low light gap, especially given the price points (great deals can be found on this forum and eBay if you are up for buying used). On the zoom, if the Zeiss f 4 is like it's A Mount brother, it should be a great replacement for the kit lens!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

13. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    no idea about that lens but definitely possible, my messing with sigma 30mm and 60mm art lenses on the a7r suggest to me that sigma could easily convert them to nex/FE lenses if they wanted to. The old style 18-55 kit also benefits form a removed baffle, so sonys nexs f4 zoom could benefit too.

While I manual focus everything (legacy glass) I want a "lazy" lens for zoom and OSS to take on holiday but after reading the recent amateur photography magazine review am not taking the plunge. They said its good but not great, very handy size and combo with a a7/r but much better lenses for same money or less. They found it hard to recommend when on other bodies a f2.8 is standard at that kinda money.

I guess I am spoiled getting awesome legacy glass for under 200 quid, if I am paying 5 times that, I want OSS, Auto focus and superior picture quality, performance or usability. I really want a FE OSS prime but there are none, yet! I am hoping some of the road map lenses are OSS primes, but who knows...

14. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    A lens which covers a bigger image circle is not just a minor modification, it rather needs a completely new design. For FE, there already is the 24-70 f/4.

15. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Yep. The FE 24-70 is the review posted by 13thfloorphotography (http://sonyalphalab.com/product-revi...view-sel2470z/) earlier in the thread.

16. Yadex

Yadex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    New Jersey
    Still having make up my mind about what lens to get the only part I don't like about the 18-105mm is that the zoom is like the 16-50mm kit lens and the zeiss 16-70mm I don't like the price...
    If I save a lil I can buy some thing else like the hvl-f43m flash!!!!

Sent from my iPad using TalkNEX mobile app

17. Rollin

Rollin TalkEmount Regular

Jul 2, 2014
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    That is a different lens. And for a different point of view on that one: http://www.stuckincustoms.com/Sony-24-70mm-Review/
    And I love: “What did you expect? A bag of primes?” http://www.leica-boss.com/2014/03/sony-fe-24-70mm-what-did-you-expect-a-bag-of-primes/

I have the 16-70mm and so far my son and I have really liked it. At 16mm it is better than the Sony 16mm: https://www.talkemount.com/showthread.php?t=7253&p=64307#post64307

When we have shot more with it I'll try to post some images in this thread.

18. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    I can confirm that the power zoom is much better than the one on the SELP1650.
    I think that the SELP18105G is probably the best all around lens for the A6000...the only drawbacks is the lens correction requirement & size.

ATM it is my favorite e-mount lens. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 3
  19. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    +1 :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jman13

Jman13 TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2014
    I recently reviewed both lenses. The 16-70 is a bit better optically and has higher contrast...it's also a lot smaller, but I'm not sure it's $400 better. FWIW, I own the 18-105. Neither are great lenses (my Fuji 18-55 is notably better than both), but both are pretty good. The power zoom on the 18-105 is very well implemented. Just turn the ring and go. There's a small delay, but it's very minimal.

Size: sony_zooms1.

Reviews:
    16-70: http://admiringlight.com/blog/review-carl-zeiss-16-70mm-f4-vario-tessar/
    18-105: http://admiringlight.com/blog/review-sony-e-pz-18-105mm-f4-g-oss/

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7