1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is worth buying a nex-6 because the evf

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Yadex, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Yadex

Yadex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    New Jersey
    I have a Nex-5N and I want a evf cost around $350 I don't know if is better to sell the Nex-5N and get a Nex-6 that have the evf already in it

2. dsiglin

dsiglin TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    I bought a nex5n and and an eve and while I do like that the EVF can be tilted I find I'm afraid I'm going to damage it. So I'm going to sell my eve (got it up on amazon atm actually) and the nex5n and get the nex6.

*EDIT* well I answered too quickly. Just viewed some comparison shots of the 5n and 6 and high iso and the 5n whipped the 6 easily. Ehhh....ok I'm going to keep my 5n then. :) That said I might still sell the EVF. With the touchscreen of the 5n (6 doesn't have that) you can focus by touching the screen. The only time the EVF is really useful is bright lighting. Even when using legacy lenses you can zoom in with the touchscreen to make sure focus is on.

3. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Difficult question. At this stage I would probably stick with the 5N and wait to see what the next generation NEX is.

I have both the 5N and the 6. The EVF on the 6 is very useful, but if I had to part with one of them, I would keep the 5N. I believe that the 5N and 6 have the same sensor, but there is something about the 5N pictures that the 6 doesn't quite have!

4. dsiglin

dsiglin TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    The 6 has a reworked sensor, as does the Nex5r. They had to remake it to work in phase detection focusing and this caused a slight loss in detail from the 5n.

5. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    I really like the EVF built into my 6, but I wouldn't suggest switching out of a perectly good 5N to get it.

6. Yadex

Yadex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    New Jersey
    Thanks guys for all the advice...
    I will keep the 5N to see what sony drop out I read they might drop some new Nex cameras @ the end of the year let see !!!

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    I've been mulling this myself for my F3 but keep this in mind.
    2yrs now and NEX-7 prices are still going strong with no replacement......

Add 2yrs to the NEX-6 minimum before prices start to drop....

Then if you decide on a used NEX-7, keep in mind that it doesn't have the phase type sensor that the 6 has.....

Decisions, decisions.....

8. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I got an EVF on Amazon for $230. It's expensive but it does make a difference. I use the tilting feature all the time. I would say keep your 5n if you are happy with it and go for EVF.

9. Newtype

Newtype TalkEmount Rookie

Jul 16, 2013
    I decided on the 6 because of the built-in EVF and flash (I've yet to use it, but I like to know it's there). No reason to purchase the 5 + an external attachment, IMO; with the money one would spend on both the camera and EVF, you could almost pick up the 6 with everything in a tight package PLUS better external controls.

10. Dynamac

Dynamac New to TalkEmount

Jul 24, 2013
    I went from the 5 to the 6 for the flash and more manual controls and initially didn't think much about the EVF. Ultimately I kept the 6 because of the EVF. The flash is next to useless, under powered and unusable with larger or long lens. In adding a scroll wheel for whatever reason Sony disabled the centre button wheel to designate other settings so you are not really gaining much from the 5n. The 6 is also noticeably larger than the 5n (some people prefer the larger size, but most of us went for nex in the first place for the smaller form factor). My most preferred option would be 5r + EVF if necessary, unless you really prefer the older sensor on the 5n.

11. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I would agree.

12. millonario

millonario TalkEmount Regular

Jul 15, 2013
    I used the pants off the evf today. It was so glary. When indors i dont tend to use it. Especially when shooting people. I tend to get better candid shots when the nex isnt held up to my face.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using TalkNEX mobile app

13. Yadex

Yadex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    New Jersey
    Get the EVF was my choice ImageUploadedByTalkNEX1374808588.603233.

14. pixael

pixael TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 1, 2013
    Dublin
    Man I've got my evf for 260$ at b&h 2 weeks ago! Check it out....

Sent from my Nexus 4 using TalkNEX mobile app

15. pixael

pixael TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 1, 2013
    Dublin
    I did the same.... There is nothing like an evf...I couldn't get use to the lcd on my 5r

Sent from my Nexus 4 using TalkNEX mobile app

16. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    One of the things I dislike about my 1st gen Nex-5 is the lack of EVF (or the ability to mount one). However, I tried my cousins DSLR yesterday (no LiveView :thumbdown: ) and I immediately understood how important LiveView is for me. Offcourse the combination of having both is the best of both worlds, so the perfect camera for me would be a Nex-6/7 :)

17. Hoff

Hoff New to TalkEmount

Jul 31, 2013
    I have the 5R and miss the EVF a little in bright sunlight. I just think that the EVF is ridiculous expensive.

What about the optical viewfinder FDA-SV1 - does it work with 5R - any experience?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using TalkNEX mobile app

18. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    If i remember correctly the optical viewfinder is listed as compatible only when you paired the camera with the SEL16mm, and maybe the SEL20mm too since they are the same size.

19. pixael

pixael TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 1, 2013
    Dublin
    The evf is on sale at b&h!

20. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Or F3 ;)

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2