1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Is this nature or portrait photos? Or both?

Discussion in 'Nature' started by oylo, Dec 31, 2012.

1. oylo

oylo TalkEmount Regular

Aug 16, 2012
    Norway
    I was out in October and tested my newly purchased Sony E 16mm/2.8.

_DSC0227. _DSC0226.

Are not familiar with this lens yet! The picture is taken with ISO 100, f/8, 1/80 and 1/160, Auto WB,

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yep, the 16mm 2.8 is a nice little lens for its price. It has a great black & white rendering! I'm not a huge fan of its colors, but hey, its cheap anyways.

To your question: These are portraits for sure. Nature photos must not show humans or human buildings (I guess as long as they're not that rotten that they're part of the nature itself).

3. RalllyFan

RalllyFan TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Tom
    I'll throw another word in there - These are Landscape Nature Portraits. Go ahead and use that before I trademark the name :)

Whatever you want to call it, they look great!

4. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Maritime, don't forget maritime.

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Rather than pigeonhole them I'll just call them very nice photos. ;)

6. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    I like it :)

7. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Great photos oylo! I say they are both equally great as nature and portrait photos. :)

The SEL16mm will distort subjects (especially people) disproportionately if not used carefully... but your photos are fine.

-

Things to watch out for:

Aperture
    If possible, avoid using wide-open aperture, because a very shallow depth of field within an ultra-wide field of view (that includes very near and very far objects) is problematic. I find the most practical aperture for it's field of view is f8 which is my default setting when this lens is mounted on my NEX (or even f11 - f16 if closer objects are critical).

Shutter Speed
    Despite having to use smaller apertures, the plus side of a very wide angle lens is that you can hand-hold at a slower shutter speed and still be OK against camera shake (1/30 sec is safe, 1/15 sec minimum if you have a very steady hand).

Distortion
    All objects (especially the human form) will distort more - the closer it is to this lens. So I try to avoid placing people in close proximity in my compositions (especially at the corners) unless you deliberately want distortion to occur as a special effect. People won't distort badly as long as they are relatively distanced from you - around 5 meters and beyond is safe. The perception of distortion is also increased when the camera is pointing up or down towards the subject, and is decreased if the camera is level towards the subject. So when people are in your composition, try to keep the camera as level possible.

Panorama
    The SEL16 is surprisingly good at Panorama shots. At first I thought it would be a poor lens to use in Panorama mode because of the inherent distortion in such a wide field of view, but the NEX stitches the multi-shots seamlessly. I would encourage you to try the Panorama mode with this lens at the beautiful scenic locations in your country.

Movie
    The SEL16 can sometimes be unsettling when 'panning' side to side on movie mode because the extreme wide angle creates a distorting motion around the corners. However, this attribute can be used to great effect when shooting a movie when moving forward (camera mounted on a car going through city streets for example).

I hope this helps :)

8. ChangshaNotes

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Great info Doiptrick. I don't know if oylo needs it but I certainly do.

Thanks.

9. oylo

oylo TalkEmount Regular

Aug 16, 2012
    Norway
    Dioptrick - Thank you.
    This was good information for me.

And Happy new year!

Had to try your guide. Went out on my balcony and took these pictures. The first is the panorama mode on the camera. The second is taken with f8, 1/100 and ISO100. The third image is two photos with f/8 ISO200 put together with Autopano. No 4 is f8, 1/100 and -1,0,+1 HDR.

Sunrise and sunset today....

_DSC0760.

_DSC0768.

View01012013.

max_sun_01012013.

10. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    ^ Fantastic!!

and a Happy New Year to you too my friend :)

11. ChangshaNotes

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Nice.

It's amazing how similar the views are from our balconies.

[​IMG]

SEL16 2.8 ƒ9

12. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    ^ Lol... yes, they both have blue and beige colours! :D

Seriously though... Scenic Landscapes and Cultural Landscapes may be worlds apart, but their beauty can be equally majestic as you have often shown us Colin.

13. oylo

oylo TalkEmount Regular

Aug 16, 2012
    Norway
    A quiet New Year's morning. New Year concert from Vienna on television. A lot of time to play around with the Nex. Starting to get familiar with my SEL16. Thank you again for contributions.

If you ever come to Norway, you are welcome to visit us in the north .... but. middle of the winter there is no sun, and in the summer we have sun 24 hours a day.

14. freddytto

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    that nice view, very good pictures, I have a 16 mm, and I like a lot, but the barrel distortion is horrible, I can not complain for the price so low. greetings and happy new year to all friends,
    Last night we went to Times Square, but it was a great mutitud of people, and my wife had been desperate so we went to dinner and dancing, just woke up right now with a headache but happy

15. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    That last one is a keeper. ;)

16. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I don't care who you are, that's funny! :D

17. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Go to settings, and switch your "Lens Comp: Distortion" to AUTO - this will make a big difference.

18. freddytto

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    thanks mate , happy new year 2013

19. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Works unfortunately only for jpegs, and you loose resolution in the corners, which is not a good thing at a lens that doesn't resolve that good at all. Whatever, I don't consider the distortion too bad as long as you don't want to shoot architecture. If you want - well, than this is the wrong lens for sure.

20. ChangshaNotes

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Doesn't Lightroom have an edit to correct barrel distortion?

I use Aperture and it doesn't correct barrel distortion so I use a plugin called PTLens. It has a profile for the 16mm as well as the 18-55 kit. You can adjust for vignetting and chromatic aberration. You can download it and try it on 10 images for free. I found it works well and I bought it. I think it's $25.

I find the 16mm to pretty good. I'm not a landscape shooter nor do I pixel peep much though. I've been thinking about picking up the wide-angle add on to use with it.