1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is this mold on the inside?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Nex6, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Nex6

Nex6 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 16, 2013
    Dear all,

I just got this Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm 1.4 from Ebay. Seller said good condition. When I got it, I see that there is this weird scratch looking thing which cannot be wipped off from the lens. Is this mold on the inside or is it just the deteriorating coating on the outside?

20130821_151106.

2. sleekdigital

sleekdigital TalkEmount Regular

May 7, 2013
    Looks like fungus to me.

3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    +1 and its a shame cause the MD 50 1.4 is such a nice lens :(

4. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    If it's whispy and spider/fractal like then yes fungus. Bought a lens myself recently that had some but got a third off the price by posting a picture to him on eBay. It was way less than yours though, on the far edge. If it were me I'd ask for a refund and send it back. Common enough lens to get a near mint one.

5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I agree, and given all the other misrepresentations by the seller on the mount type, etc., I'd send them all back and get a refund. That seller sounds like he's either seriously ignorant, or a cheat.

6. Nex6

Nex6 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 16, 2013
    What Im concerned about is that I just put this into my camera for a few shots and is this contageous? will it infect my camera sensor and that fungus will grow on it too? or even contageous to my other lenses?

7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    It is contageous but I think you'd have to leave it on the camera or close to other lenses for a long time in order for the fungus to grow...

I'd also send it back

8. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    There are mold spores everywhere, you breath them in all day, every day. Don't stress about cross contamination. It is way more important to keep your lenses in a cool dry place. I would send it back because the mold will affect the picture quality. Micro contrast and colour rendition will be ruined over time as the mold spreads. For reference the mold my lens had would be 2 or 3 millimetres long, yours has spread over many centimetres and to my eyes looks beyond saving. You can halt spread by leaving the lens in strong sunlight or by shining a UV light into the glass. Sometimes this can even erase light fungus. Message the seller, ask for a refund or substantial partial refund, then go from there.

9. Nex6

Nex6 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 16, 2013
    Everyone thanks for your responses! I opened up the lens and wipe with rubbing alcohol. Its all clean now! Guess I'm keeping it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TalkNEX mobile app

10. Nex6

Nex6 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 16, 2013
    Took me two hours to do this......I hope it doesn't grow back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TalkNEX mobile app

11. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    It will be growing back if you store your lenses in hot and humid environment. It will take something like 20 years to do so.

I ordered a Panagor 90 mm macro with fungus yesterday. I count using 5+ hours to clean it. Not financially viable but I can't put myself to pay over 200 euro for it in good condition.