1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is this lens fungus?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by shaolin95, Jul 27, 2014.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    I was cleaning a lens and noticed a lot of white hair like things sticking around the mount are and lens hood a bit too and then took a pic and noticed these inside the glass too!

http://oi59.tinypic.com/2dvpj7c.jpg

Thanks

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Appears to be so....:(

3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    If it's inside, it's most likely fungus indeed. There's only a small amount of it so it shouldn't detract from image quality. One of my favorite lenses, a Minolta Celtic Macro 50/3.5, has a fungus spot which is about as large, but much denser and that hasn't caused me any problem so far. Keep the lens at a dry place and it shouldn't get any worse.

4. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I haven't got any experience with fungus, but I have heard people say fungus on one lens can contaminate and spread to others.

Not sure that is definitely true, but worth keeping it separate just in case?

5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Fungus spores are everywhere, so you can always can get fungus in a lens as soon as it's stored in too humid a place (over 70 % relative humidity if I remember correctly). The presence of another lens with fungus doesn't really seem to matter. I've kept my fungus macro lens in the same bag with the other macro lenses for the last 2 years with no spreading of fungus so far.

• Like Like x 1
  6. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Good to know. Yes it is inside indeed sadly. I did take some super sharp and clean images with it just noticed this when cleaning to sell it on ebay (just got a 100mm F2 that I fell in love with). Well, I live in Utah so keeping a decent humidity level here is always the hard part so at least on that side I dont think it will be happy living with me LOL
    I did place it away from my other lenses as I got scared. I was going to leave it under the sunlight for a little time since I read that too but it seems some people claim that does not work.
    Anyways, of course now value for it will go down when I list it on ebay so maybe I will check back with the user I traded with on this to sort this out. it is a rather sweet lens other than that.
    Thanks guys!

7. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Shaolin, clean out your message box your full!