Is this a trick?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by alaios, Apr 21, 2015.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    ...or it really works?

Does this really opens up the canon lenses to nex cameras or not?

REgards
    Alex

2. Lisandra

Lisandra TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    it works, its sold mainly under kipon. Just dont expect af to be anywhere in the realm of fast. Its slowwwwww. BTW they just announced one for mft that apparently has very fast focus

3. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks for the answer. So you think there is hope for the emount too? It would be good to open me up more lenses options...Currently I am thinking for the LA-EA2 though
    Alex

4. Lisandra

Lisandra TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    The one currently available for emount (normal and speedboost design) work great, ive used them, the stabilization works like a charm. Well have to wait and see if the high speed focus version comes to the emount too. I hope so

5. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    I am also thinking of buying the LA-EA2 adapter since I will get access to lenses that look more affordable... I will make a new post soon and ask members to comment

Regards
    Alex

6. Sympa

Sympa TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 19, 2015
    There is a big variety of these adapters, from $35 to ten times as much. Whether they work with certain lenses is dependent on many factors. I have a Fotga ($35) which sometimes works with the Canon 10-18mm STM for autofocus, but it is slow to AF. So I use it as a manual focus lens, which is perfect. More expensive adapters are constructed better and some (newest Kipon) offer fast autofocus. But still lens dependent.

7. mashiro2004

mashiro2004 TalkEmount Regular

Oct 5, 2014
    Aosta Valley - Italy
    Simone
    I use the la-ea2 adapter on sony a6000 with many lenses, such sigma 400 5.6, minolta 70-210 f4, minolta 35-70, etc.... Autofocus is quickly and accurate. I have also a sony a58 and Autofocus whit la-ea2 is the same if used in afs, in afc the autofocus of a a58 is a bit better.
    Adapters for third party lens as Canon, is very very slow because use only contrast detection eccept for sony a7R2 where use the native autofocus of the camera.
    Excuse for my terrible english i hope you have understand my explanation.

8. Andi Price

Andi Price New to TalkEmount

Aug 19, 2015
    Oklahoma City
    Andi Price
    Sorry to seen naive, but which adapters work with with lenses? I have a Sony NEX6 and I am really wanting an LA-EA2, but I have absolutely no idea what all lenses it will work on, other than a Sony A-mount lens. Yes I'm new to this so please, nobody judge the dumb question. I'm willing and wanting to learn here, but can't really seem to find any "guide" to adapters and the lenses they work with.

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    The LA-EA2 works for A-Mount lenses.

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/converters-mount-adapters/la-ea2

There are other adapters for other mount types. Some AF capable, some only MF capable.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+adapters.TRS0&_nkw=E-Mount+adapters&_sacat=0

10. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Most lens adapters are so-called "dumb" adapters. They allow you to attach a non-Sony lens to your NEX-6, but they don't provide for any auto-focus capability. Each lens line has its own kind of adapter, i.e., you buy a NEX-Nikon adapter if you're mounting an old Nikon lens, and a NEX-Canon adapter if you're mounting an old Canon FD lens, etc. I've never used one, but I understand that the Sony LA-EA2 adapter can be used with Sony A-mount lenses and some Minolta lenses, and will provide for some (slow) auto-focus capability. Others here may know more about this adapter than I do. But bottom line: you buy the NEX-to-whatever adapter that fits the brand of lens you want to use. Just go on eBay and search for NEX lens adapter and you'll be overwhelmed with choices. For the most part, the cheap ones work great.

11. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Ok. I thought this was dead, but here is what I know from using a few different types of adapters on NEX/a6000 cameras. For the record, I used these adapters at different times because of some compromise I had to make. However, if money was no object or the equivalent native lens is available, I would never even consider adapters.

Dumb adapters - No electronic connections, Manual focus only.. Essentially that essentially account for proper flange distance and mount type. Thus allowing the camera to be used with a variety of.

The LA-EA2/4(FF) - Full electronic connection. Used with Sony/Minolta A-mount lenses and provides SLR type PDAF that is much faster than native NEX-6 AF and about equal to a6000 in most situations. This adapter is big because it has motor and mirror built in. It passes all EXIF info to camera.

The LA-EA1/3(FF) - same as above but no fast AF or Mirror. CDAF can work with A-mount lenses with a SAM motor but it is really slow.

Canon smart adapters such as Metabones, FotodioX, and the one in the OP video work similar to LA-EA1/3 in that you get full Exif, aperture control and slow AF but with Canon lenses. I still own the FotodioX.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    The one thing I would add regarding the LA-EA2 and LA-EA4; They both use a translucent mirror within the adaptor for AF. The AF is good, not great IMO and the mirror will result in a loss of roughly 1/3 stop of light.

• Informative Informative x 1