Is there stabilisation in the a6000?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Digicrew Dave, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Digicrew Dave

Digicrew Dave New to TalkEmount

Mar 16, 2016
    Hi all, first post here.

I have an a6000 and love it. I mainly shoot video with it. Pictures are incredible.

I often use the camera on a slider and at times it appears there is some kind of image stabilisation at play as - on a very smooth slider - the image regularly "jerks". I am using standard Sony lenses.

Does anyone know if the camera and/or lenses use stabilisation and - if so - how can I turn it off?

Many thanks

Dave

2. nidza

nidza TalkEmount Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    Serbia
    Camera no, lenses - some of them YES. If OSS mark on them, you have stabilization. You will help us by noting exactly what lenses do you use.

I have no camera besides me, but there is an option to switch on or off image stabilization in menus. I think it is called SteadyShot if not Image Stabilization. Unless you shoot tripod, I don't see any advantages in shutting it off.

3. Digicrew Dave

Mar 16, 2016
    Thanks for the response and dopey me.

I neglected to check the markings on the lens. Yes, both have OSS.

SO now to find a way to switch it off.

Thanks again.

4. Digicrew Dave

Mar 16, 2016
    Found it! Thank you.

5. isa

isa TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 14, 2017
    found this old post but something I am wondering about. excuse my ignorance. can someone explain why you would want to turn OFF the OSS (when not using the tripod). I thought you need the OSS to help from being blurry. I have the a6000 and am using at the LE EA4 adaptor. I noticed my OSS lens the STEADY shot is turned off in camera. the images seem to be more blurred than when I use a e-mount lens with OSS and it is on in camera. am I missing something?

6. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I think you answered your own question. Somehow your flow of thinking is in reverse. The option to disable OSS is provided because a tripod mounted shot will be sharper. As you mentioned.
    You are using a lens adapter, thus, the option is grayed out because there is no OSS native lens attached.
    I don't know if the adapted lens will have its own image stabilization if it exists, enabled by default.

7. isa

isa TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 14, 2017
    thank you... I understand why you would turn it off with a tripod but if not using a tripod you would want it on, correct?? if not why?

8. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Well, if you're low on battery life and have no replacement, I guess one can shut it off to conserve power. If you know you're shooting in bright conditions and high shutter speeds, the image stabilization matters less, unless you're trying to follow a subject.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. isa

isa TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 14, 2017
    thank you for your reply.

10. newst

newst TalkEmount Regular

Aug 20, 2014
    Troy, MI
    Steve New
    The original poster was using his camera mounted on a "slider". The effect is similar to that when mounted to a tripod, with the camera held solidly. Having OSS on would introduce the same electronic flutter as a tripod mounted camera would experience.

• Like Like x 1