Is there more than one SEL1650?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by seannymurrs, Sep 1, 2014.

1. seannymurrs

seannymurrs New to TalkEmount

Aug 31, 2014
    My wife has a NEX-3n that came with a SEL1650 kit lens. Is this the same lens that comes with the a6000 kit? Trying to decide if I should just get the body only for the a6000 and use her kit lens or if the included lens would be an upgrade.

2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Also confused - your last post said you already had the A6000?

3. seannymurrs

Aug 31, 2014
    It's a long story and I chose to frame my question in the simplest way to avoid confusion. I purchased the a6000 body only when I thought my wife's 3n had the SEL1855 non power zoom lens. That's what someone told me it had and I didn't think to double check or question them. I'm new to photography so didn't notice when I used the lens last week. Over the weekend I realized hers has the SEL1650. That made me curious if the a6000 kit comes with the identical lens to the one I've been using or if it was a newer version. If it was a newer version I would consider returning my a6000 body and getting the kit.

I figured it was easier to pose the question as if I hadn't already purchased the body as opposed to explaining the entire situation.

P.S. Thanks for answering my question :)

4. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    LOL - OK. The A6000 + SELP1650 is a nifty combination. I wasn't too sure about it at first, but after a weeks holiday (a cruise, so many day trips wanting to carry a little as possible) I really liked it, compact, fast AF, and a very usable wide-tele range for everyday. Per your other post, it would be nice if it was a little longer, but again, per my post in your other post your stuck with a decent bill for the SELP18105G to achieve all the SELP1650 does but a bit longer :)

Just get out there and shoot some stuff. Then you can get more of a feel for it and what you feel it lacks vs your personal style and so what your next lens purchase might be...

5. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    I have both... the 16-50PZ and an 18-55 kit zoom. I don't like the PZ feature, so I zoom manually, and I wish it had a decent Sony lens hood. But it is nice and sharp for a kit zoom, and very convenient. The 18-55 handles more like an old school zoom, but everyone says it isn't as sharp. No complaints here on sharpness, but I don't peep, and it is a good lens cap for my NEX-6. The 16-50 says on the A6000 unless I need a prime. I WISH there was a 16-50 2.8 like the kit zoom for the A77ii, I love that lens, size be damned.

This is kinda interesting...http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3674590

6. seannymurrs

Aug 31, 2014
    Is there a way to disable the power zoom on the 16-50?

7. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    No, there is no mechanical option. You can choose between the switch on the side or the ring to zoom (if you are in MF the ring changes to focus). It's not as good as a mechanical zoom like the SEL1855 but you soon get the hang of it after a couple of hours use.

8. seannymurrs

Aug 31, 2014
    Do you know if there is any downside to using the 18-55 with the a6000? I read somewhere that it didn't take advantage of the phase AF of the NEX-6 or I assume the a6000.

9. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    There is a firmware update for the lens to allow it to take advantage of the phase detect focus, so it's pretty quick. However I'm pretty sure it's still not as quick as the 16-50 based on what I have read and also some limited tests I did when I first got my A6000.