1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is there any way to find out the production date of an A7r?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by adrianp, Sep 16, 2014.

1. adrianp

adrianp TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 16, 2014
    Australia
    Hi,

I am the proud owner of a new A7r, I was wondering if there is any way I could find out the build date. I suspect that the camera is not as new as the seller wants me to believe. It came with firmware 1.01 and the serial is S01-4680xxx-D. Doesn't have to be precise, build month would be all I am after.

Thanks in advance,
    Adrian

2. sonicbuffalo

sonicbuffalo TalkEmount Regular

Aug 7, 2014
    North Carolina
    Chris
    Wouldn't you rather have the actuation count of the shutter? That will tell you how many shots has been taken with your camera. For instance, I bought my A7 as a refurbished one. I didn't care about anything other than the actuation count which I finally figured out to be around 65. That was plenty new enough for me. That means someone bought the camera I now have, and tried it out and returned it because they didn't like it. OK with me, as I got my camera for about $300 less than a brand new one.

3. adrianp

Sep 16, 2014
    Australia
    Thanks, but I know the actuation count (1 actuation when I bought it), I was after the build date. I suspect it was old stock, probably first months of the year, the dealer told me it was from the last shipment from Sony.

4. sonicbuffalo

sonicbuffalo TalkEmount Regular

Aug 7, 2014
    North Carolina
    Chris
    Sorry....I would maybe give Sony Tech Support a call, and give them your serial number, or whatever other numbers they request and they'll probably be able to help you. Myself, I'd be happy with 1 actuation, but that's just me. Let us know how that works out for you.

5. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    And as an aside, the "image count" from an SD card is not actually the shutter actuations...cards can be replaced, or formatted, or used as part of a multiple set of dards, etc...the actual # of actuations is maintained in the camera body circuitry itself.

• Like Like x 1
  6. adrianp

Sep 16, 2014
    Australia
    I tried Sony, but, as expected, they pretend that they don't have this information.

I've read rumors that Sony fixed the light leak issue sometime in April (?), also that the newer cameras are quieter, that's why my agreement with the dealer was that he'll get me one of the latest builds. I bought the camera this month and it came with software 1.01 and a bonus voucher already expired since July in the box, that's why I am trying to find out if the dealer is BS me, even for future reference. That's the whole story.

BTW, the image count is from the camera.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jimmoore

jimmoore TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2013
    Ledbury UK
    Jim
    Try this have used it on Pentax system.
    Check the real number of shutter actuations by feeding an image file to the PhotoMe program: http://www.photome.de/. This isn't reset by a firmware update or anything else. will also give build date info.

• Like Like x 1
  8. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Build Date "of the camera".....or.....of the image?

9. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I downloaded the free version and overall it looks like a very thorough program.
    Like others, it captured the basic manufacturer data such as Sony...NEX-7...Version #.
    But nothing about the build date of the camera body that I could find.
    If I'm overlooking it somewhere, would appreciate the help in digging it out.

10. jimmoore

jimmoore TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2013
    Ledbury UK
    Jim
    Apologies for the bum steer, I am convinced that we used it to check the date of manufacture on the Pentax K5 (censor problem time) to check that we had the lasts batch. But it is not there now that is clear, maybe I am dreaming, sorry for giving false hope.

11. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    No sweat...and I'm certainly glad "I'VE NEVER" done anything like that of course, LOL.

General Info for the thread:

A couple weeks ago member “addieleman” shared that he uses a particular piece of software called "PIE"...(Picture Information Extractor)...and posted this link to it.
    I got it and it seems to be an excellent program…AND…it provides “Shutter Actuation Count” from the camera as well.
    But like the one you referenced, it doesn't display anything about the original camera build date...heck, maybe it's not imbedded in the camera anyway.

http://www.picmeta.com/download.htm