1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is there any value here?

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by alaios, Jul 6, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi all,
    short intro.
    I am a freshman and very new to photography. Today I was sitting on my train window and I thought I could play a bit. You will find in the gallery here
    of what I was trying
    LightShooting - AlexPal's Photos (password is 1, just the number)

All the photos are uploaded directly from the camera, no photoshop, no postprocessing. I only included a copy of those that I turned through smugmug's interface to black and white. Have a look and let me know if there is anything nice there or these should go directly to the trash bin. ( i liked mostly the 9th one).

Let me know what you htink.

Regards
    Alex

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Whether "there's anything nice there or these should go directly to the thrash bin" is a matter of personal preference - after all photography is a very personal thing. Sure there are a few basic rules that one "should" follow but in the end of the day the question is do YOU like them? Take and post photos that YOU like and not to please somebody else ;)

3. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    Yeah, when you start out in photography, it's best to snap anything you like.

After a while you will start to see a pattern in what you like. Then you can start looking to other photographers for tips on how to develop your style more.

4. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    thanks for the update but it does not look like that there is anything nice on what I shoot. Personally I like this old style the images got with no post processing.

5. Jaf-Photo

Mar 25, 2013
    There is always a reason that you took a shot, whether it was conscious thought or pure instinct. Study your photos and really think about what you saw. If you are not happy with how it came out you can do two things.

First you can edit the photo to emphasise your vision. Crop the photo to draw the eyes to the part that is central to you. Use the lines that occur in the photo to guide the eyes. Change the lighting, reduce distracting highlights, saturate the important colours.

Second, figure out how you could have taken the shots differently to emphasise your vision. Then make a mental note of it and go out and try again.

6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    My straight answer? No picture appeals to me.

That sounds harsh, I know. Even harsher is another thought: why am I even asked to browse through pictures that you think are ready for the trash bin? Now that's probably me, I'm easily irritated (ask my wife). Therefore I have given it some thought to decide if I would react at all and if so, how.

Scott Kelby has given a very interesting and inspiring lecture on composition, but really on photography in general. I watch it from time to time to reset my mind and also because I find it entertaining, even after having watched it a few times already.

One of the things he says, is to explore and think further on a scene you're attracted to: "working the scene". You say you like #9, sort of. That means that you feel something's there. Ask yourself what made you take that shot. Try to work on that, get similar pictures the next time you're in a train at night, do it again and again until you feel that your picture conveys the idea you have in your mind.

I've tried the same as you do now, present pictures of which you don't know if they work. And I've found that if a picture doesn't work for me, it will most probably not work for somebody else. Heck, even if I think that a picture might be something, often others on this forum don't react to it, so it obviously isn't very appealing. I've used this forum (and others) to calibrate myself: present a picture, knowing what I think of it myself and then see what others think of it. And in general I've found I only have a chance of getting reactions from others on pictures that I really like myself.

In your case I only would have presented #9 and asked for comments, in my experience that is a more effective approach than showing everything you've shot in the hope that someone else sees something in it you don't; these miracles usually don't happen. Everyone else but you is handicapped: they don't know what went on in your mind while you shot the pictures, so a picture must be telling enough by itself to convey something of your ideas.

In my opinion being a freshman like you describe yourself or having spent time on photography for 50 years like me doesn't really make a difference when it comes to deciding if a picture is worth anything. If you don't see a reason to keep a picture instead of trashing it, there probably isn't any. Experienced or not, in the end the photographer himself should be the judge of whether a picture is worth keeping or not and if so, if it's shown and to whom.

Disclaimer: all my opinions here relate to amateur photography. Making money with photography is a different story and I can't say anything about that as I have been quite unsuccessful in doing so.

7. Jaf-Photo

Mar 25, 2013
    Well, I think the photos do attract attention.

My one thought is that because the glass is so dirty, it will always be a big feature in the photo. I would probably have tried to emphasise the window a bit more by taking wider shots including the window frame and maybe parts of the compartment.