1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is there any chance Sony (or a third party) will release a 3D lens?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by LowriderS10, Apr 4, 2013.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 TalkEmount Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    For about a year I've been torn between going NEX or M4/3...the latter is out for a variety of reasons, and I'm 99.9% sure I'll be rocking a NEX-6 with an SEL1018 within the coming months.

However, there's ONE lens no one outside the M4/3 realm has, and that's the 3D lens...it's more of a toy than a serious tool (the resulting pictures are tiny, but apparently great on a TV)...I'd loooooove to have something like that. With Sony's bigger sensor, the files out of it would be bigger too...

Panasonic Lumix G 3D 12.5mm f/12 Lens Review

So I have two questions:

1: Could Sony's cameras be capable of this with a firmware upgrade, IF Sony decided to make something like this, or is it something that the sensor has to be designed with from the get go? (I'm guessing not, it sounds like just FW/programming stuff).

2: Has anyone heard anything about either Sony or a third party working on a lens like this for the NEX mount?

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    1. Yes (FW).

2. Resolution would be extremely bad, I don't think a company that tries to establish 4k TVs would sell something like this.

3. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    To be honest (but this is only MY PERSONAL opinion):
    "Is there any chance that I would buy a 3D lens?"
    or from Sony's point of view
    "Is there any chance that many (still) photographers would buy a 3D lens?"

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I don't think it's something that Sony will ever do. Probably not sensor specific, Leica had something similar for rangefinder film cameras. You see them occassionally on ebay. You could maybe go that route if 3D is really something you want to pursue.

Or buy a m4/3 body and the Panasonic lens.

5. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Well, you loose at least 3/4 of the resolution when using a 3D lens on a single sensor, which means a maximum resolution of 3000 x 2000 pixels on a NEX-7. While this may sound sufficient for TV use, I don't think many photographers would be interested in such a lens. I don't even know somebody who uses the built-in 3D sweep panorama feature ... -- and Sony doesn't even advertise it anymore.

6. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    That's exactly what the Panasonic 3D lens does. It takes 2MP 3D images. It wasn't the first. Loreo makes 3D lenses that fit on a variety of mounts. While there is no e-mount version. They make them in a variety of mounts that can be easily adapted to the NEX.

LOREO 3D Lens in a Cap 9005

Also, people do use the 3D features on the NEX. They talk about it on DPR.

7. LowriderS10

Mar 23, 2013
    Yeah, the resolution is definitely not for print...but it'd be a fun thing to show people back home after travelling...put a few 3D pictures up on the TV, so it'd be like they were there!

Hmm...interesting! Thanks...Yeah, I was thinking of an OM-D plus that lens, but the NEX-6 has too much going for it to go with an OM-D because of this...and I definitely don't want 2 mirrorless systems.

Oh yeah, the resolution in absolute terms is crap. It's worse than a 3 year old cellphone. BUT...it's a cool little gimmick! I'd buy into it for sure.

oooh thanks...I haven't heard of this yet! Does that mount on top of an existing lens? I'm a little confused...

Also, does the NEX-6 have a 3D option?

8. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    Yes. It comes in a variety of DSLR mounts. Just get a NEX adapter to match it.

9. LowriderS10

Mar 23, 2013
    Ahhh...gotcha...thanks!