Is there any benefit to alpha over nex?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by teefin1, Sep 17, 2012.

1. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    I was thinking I might buy a 5n as they look set to drop in price shortly but am wondering if the a57 might be a better buy? Currently about £100 price difference. What would you guys advise? I like the nex form and iq, the phase detection and lens availability of the a57, plus the cheaper price of lenses! Looking at the new e mount 35mm and it's priced here around £400, does that seem expensive? The a mount equivalent is £150 ish.

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    LOTS more of native lenses that don't require any type of adapter...

3. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Depends what sort of photography you're into (or are wanting to get into). If you're headed toward manual focus legacy lenses, mirror-less is the way to go. If you want to be "un-noticed" walking around public areas with a camera, mirror-less is the way to go.

4. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I think IQ is quite similar, unless of course you're talking about the A99. But for APS-C Alphas:

Alpha: faster focusing, better native lens selection, cheaper native lenses

NEX: smaller, legacy adaptability, better lens build quality usually (a lot of alpha lenses are very plastic), cheaper body, able to mount alpha lenses

Overall I say it's a NEX win, but I'm biased. If you have any interest in fast tele photography like sports or night time performance arts, then Alpha is the way to go for the fast focus+wide aperture tele that NEX cannot get close. And for that matter, Nikon is probably better than Alpha for that.

5. RT_Panther

Aug 9, 2011
    In my book, the sheer number of Alpha native lenses is a "plus 100" over the limited amount of emount NEX lenses available...

6. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    Yes, but that advantage is severely diminished by the existence of the Sony adapters

7. RT_Panther

Aug 9, 2011
    Yes, you did admit you are biased so I'll accept that.....
    Next thing you know, you'll be saying that a NEX can auto-focus toe-to-toe with an Alpha ;)

8. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    I just posted that alpha has faster focus what's your problem?

9. RT_Panther

Aug 9, 2011
    Whoa now....relax....it's just a forum thread....:)
    I'm done here, I'll give you the last word.....

10. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
  11. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    I have an epm1, which is very handy, was considering a complete move to the nex system for iq and low light performance, but as I have three very young children consider the idea of supplementing the epm1 with the a57, but I'm not sure there is enough benefit considering the weight/size of it. I tried it out yesterday and the AF is fab and apart from lens price and availability that's the only thing drawing me in at present. I like to have a small camera for when I'm out with the kids or maybe in restaurants etc; more discreet. Thanks so far for all advice, this site is really informative and friendly.

12. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    For general purpose photography the NEX/mirrorless camera systems are very hard to beat,.....small, light, relatively cheap and extremely adaptable. For most people most of the time ultra fast auto-focus is not only uneccassary but also a hindrance! The NEX (even the NEX 3 which I have used to great effect) has everything for very high quality work on general subjects.......

...........However, if you have particular interests in you photography such as extreme tele shots or action sports etc, then a SLR could be a much better system. Even in these areas th NEX's are no slouch, but an SLR might be consistently superior in serious use.

13. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    Thanks bugleone, do you think the nex would suffice for three toddlers on the go?

14. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    agree

I agree with you. The NEX has its place, but it is not ideal for everything.

15. korn_2956

korn_2956 TalkEmount Regular

Jun 11, 2012
    I bet the 5r and the 6 are close enough that you wouldn't be able to notice. Just from what I've read.