1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is there a way to check the number of activations?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by lenshoarder, May 12, 2012.

1. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    Is there a way to see how many shutter activations a NEX has?

2. tomrock

tomrock TalkEmount Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN USA
    I've seen this question asked before but I've never seen a "yes" answer. I don't think there is any way to check.

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Actually one of the screens, (flick through the various screen options), shows a ticker on the upper left hand side.

4. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    I tried looking through every screen I could, no ticker found. Which screen is it on?

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    my bad

I double checked and that counter I was looking at was the memory card counter.

6. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Old thread but there are exif readers that can tell you from the data off a photo taken with your camera. I would assume that could be done with files from an NEX. I know it works with my DSLR.

7. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Searched this answer on many boards, and AFAIK, there is no way to tell.

8. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I think the image file title gives a decent ballpark hint - unless you've somehow reset that, or you use panorama mode a lot.

9. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    No published way that I know of.

Or you use new folder per date setting, where it always starts the file number over for each folder.

10. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    So it's not stored in exif like on a dslr?

11. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    When I first got my 7 I loaded it with a card formatted in my 6. It's been following the 6's fiel sequence ever since. I have NO way to tell how many actuations the 7 had when I bought it.

12. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Maybe this whole actuation thing is a bit overrated. Anyone ever had a broken shutter?

13. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Oh I totally agree with you on this one !! Yes some shutter mechanisms do die on SLRs, but on a mirrorless camera I've never heard of it ??
    The one thing is that, for someone selling a lot of cameras, like me, some buyers are paranoid about shutter count...

14. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Indeed, I've had the same experience. Some buyers freak out already when they see a shutter count over 1000. :confused: So I consider it a good thing that you can't find a shutter count on the NEX cameras!

15. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    I don't really worry about it either on my own camera...but I guess it's nice to know when buying used like say, from a pro that is retiring a body that might be at 100K clicks or more. By knowing that, you can be aware that it might go bad on you at some point in the not so distant future. That's not to say a camera can't fail with a low count too. Also, some people won't buy unless you know and can show them. Of course, sounds like that won't/can't be the case with these cameras since you can't really find out.

16. JSL

JSL New to TalkEmount

Mar 3, 2014
    SoCal, USA
    • Like Like x 2
  17. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Download exiftool from Phil Harvey's site (free) and run the following command (in a Windows command box; can't help Mac users):
    Code:
    exiftool -ImageCount C:\Temp\20140305-177.arw
    i-wZdbfXL-XL.

Replace C:\Temp\20140305.arw by the path for the file you want to investigate. Apparently my A7 has had 3694 shutter actuations (assuming that that's close to image count).

• Like Like x 2
  18. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Do these program count images or shutter snaps?

If you use HDR, the twilight modes, or paronama you get multiple snaps per image.

19. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I used HDR on my A7. Have to remember to set it back to raw! :eek_old: I hear the camera making 3 exposures, and each HDR sequence delivers 2 images, and the image count goes up by 3 on each HDR shot. So it appears the exif value is the count of the number of exposures, not final images. There is no difference between electronic front curtain or not, so the counter is not really counting the work the shutter has to do.

20. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    • Like Like x 1