Is there a way for camera to print time and date on photos?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Benjamin, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin TalkEmount Regular

Own income property and trying to use camera to take pics of apartment before tenants move in. Need to have date show up on photo. Any way of doing this?

Sony Nex 7 if that makes a difference.

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I haven't tried this. But I'm guessing you could create a watermark in Lightroom that automatically applies the date and time from the EXIF data.

3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    The camera can't print it on the photo, but it's in the metadata anyway if it's for proofing when the photo was captured.

4. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    What you are describing is something old film cameras could do readily. What's your goal? Is it for your own information or as some sort of proof to document the state before the tenants move in? If it's for your own information, the EXIF data should be more than enough. If it's as proof, then I don't see how the EXIF data would help since the camera's date/time can be set to anything. More importantly, the EXIF data can be edited to anything. Have you thought about taking a page from every kidnapping movie and just hold up that day's newspaper and take a picture of that with your property in the background? ;)

5. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    And even that can be created in Photoshop. I honestly don't know how valid the photos are as a proof as I could easily provide a photo of President Lincoln having a lunch in front of TV, with all the metadata and date stamp confirming it was taken in 1862.

6. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    IMO, including "today's" newspaper in the photo will give a little more credibility to establish a "not before" date than a stamp or metadata would. Isn't that what kidnapper's do ?

7. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    Sorry lenshoarder ... I am guilty of not finishing reading your post ... saw EXIF a few times and missed the last sentence.

8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Unfortunately in this digital age, anyone can forge timestamps.

Not having rental property, I speak from ignorance, but should not that simply be included in the rental agreement. Have them sign with the other various documents that they agree that this is the condition of the home and then have it notarized. With the notaries stamp, you have an official document stating the date.

9. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    But including "today's" newspaper in any photo is just a matter of technique.

10. copeland118

copeland118 TalkEmount Rookie

May 7, 2014
    Should be in settings i have on canon but i did not notice one on a6000. Time stamp is what its called on canon

Sent from my LG-LS980 using TalkEmount mobile app

11. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Maybe it can be done but it has no value as a proof of the date the photo was taken. Anybody can photoshop a timestamp on nowadays.