Is there a TCON planned for FE70-200?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by WT21, Mar 19, 2015.

1. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    I know it's kind of slow at f/4, but even a 1.4TCON could be useful, and would still keep it at f/5.6 effectively.

Have there been any rumors for such a thing?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I've never seen any, and I check in at SAR almost every day.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I don't believe Sony has ever offered any Tele-Converter options for E-mount lenses, only Ultra-Wide and Fish-eye converters.

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Well, the Sony DH1758 teleconverter works well with the E-mount SEL55210 lens, but it was originally made for the old Cybershot DSC-H1 camera, and is no longer being produced. And with 58mm threads, it's certainly not going to work with the 70-200. :shakehead:

5. tomO2013

tomO2013 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    As the system gains in popularity it's probably something they will deliver once the lens lineup is more fully padded out. They have actually delivered quite a lot of lenses over the last year and a half and there are more due by year end.
    Only thing that I could see going against the notion of a TC is that if Sony were to deliver, I reckon it would be 1.4X only.
    Loosing two stops of light gathering on a 2X on an F4 constant FE70-200 for light gathering would have very limited usage.
    I'd think it more likely that they bring out a 200-500 F4-F5.6 or something like (thats what I would like anyway).
    That being said I also shoot the 70-400 with LAEA4 and it is absolutely superb optically so that is a very viable option for sports, birding etc... without necessitating a teleconverter.