1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is there a remote for the NEX-6 that will let you take multiple exposures (one after another)?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by LowriderS10, May 5, 2013.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 TalkEmount Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    Hi guys,

So, I shoot a lot of night stuff/star trails...the way it basically works is I set up my camera on continuous drive, 30 second exposure, and then lock my remote...so it basically just takes pictures every 30 seconds until I unlock the remote or it runs out of memory/battery without me having to do anything at all...

Is anything like this possible with the NEX-6? (I know you can do bulb exposures, but that's not what I'm looking for).

Thanks,
    T

By the way...here's what the result looks like:

8699827507_95b8063ec4_b.

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
  3. LowriderS10

Mar 23, 2013
    Oh yes, I meant to include that, but forgot...I don't have a smartphone and won't have one for another year until I finish my contract in Korea and my travels in Asia...Thanks for the suggestion, but are there other options?

4. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Not that I knowy And even if there is - with processing times over 30 seconds for such a exposure the star trails would look pretty odd. (Imho turning off dark frame noise reduction is not a good idea)

But I'm curious: Why would you prefer multiple 30 second exposure over a single bulb exposure?

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    There's always a used model. It doesn't need to be active on a system to run apps once you get the apps on there. I'm running my 3GS on Wi-Fi only and it works fine.

For a shot like this Im not sure you'd even see the difference with/without noise reduction. And the reason for multiple shots vs: a single loooooong exposure is sensor heat. Which in turn creates excessive noise. :frown:

6. LowriderS10

Mar 23, 2013
    The above picture was shot with no LENR (long exposure noise reduction) and it's fine...so was this one...took me about a minute to clone out a handful of hot pixels, and that's it...

8709183298_a3610f6fb7_b.

The reason for stacking: While I'm pretty good at doing single shot star trails, stacking takes all the guessing out of it...I've shot 20 minute to 1.5 hour star trails with 20 min to 1.5 hour LENR only to find out that it didn't turn out the way I wanted it...that's pretty much a night of shooting down the drain. Also, with multiple exposures, I can do this: time lapse videos of whatever I just shot! (view in 720, full screen, otherwise it looks like garbage):

[video=youtube;kbIOroA09OE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbIOroA09OE[/video]

I'm not happy about the shutter wear and tear on my camera (taking 300 pictures instead of 1 or the amount of space it takes up on my hard drive), but it's fun to play with it sometimes.

Yeah, that's true, I'm just trying to travel as light as possible. If I carried a phone, it would need a charger...it would also be one more valuable that'd be attractive to thieves...my general rule of thumb when travelling (I always backpack, use cheap public transportation, sleep anywhere from abandoned huts on beaches to hostels at most) is to have only ONE thing that's valuable with me, and that's the camera, and that's with me at all times...then I don't have to worry about anything else.

7. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Sure, as long as the ISO is low this should work. Doesn't work for any landscapes where the foreground is totally without any additional light where you need at least ISO 1600 to avoid star trails (not in your case, I guess).

Guessing? Well, you can easily calculate the perfect exposure time simply by taking a single shorter shot with correct exposure for single stars, than adding some stops to the exposure time and subtract the same amount of stops on your ISO and aperture. The same can be done for composition. And for the length of the star trails - after you shot some, you should know how long they'll be after a certain amount of time. Of course you can't make time lapses that way, but I think most time lapses look bad anyways ...

If your camera has an electronic first curtain shutter, it should survive more than 100k shots - plenty, even if you shoot time lapses regularly.

When I have €4000 worth of camera gear in my backpack, I usually am not afraid that somebody steals my €600 phone out of my jeans pocket. ;)

Finally - the Time Lapse app could solve your problem. I think it can be set to save all the RAWs and it can be programmed how you like it.

8. LowriderS10

Mar 23, 2013
    Thanks for your reply!

- Actually, high ISO noise and long exposure noise are two different things. You'll get long exposure noise (hot pixels) even at base ISO.

- Yeah, I know, I've been shooting star trails the "old fashioned" way (single frame) for years and years and years. I know how to calculate it, but still...every now and again it doesn't work out as planned for one reason or another. Multiple exposures are far more reliable.

- Yup, my camera's designed for 150,000 shots. However, sadly that's not a guaranteed number. Some fail at 40,000 others at 300,000. I know it'll survive a lot of shooting, but I prefer to have low mileage cameras. It may be unreasonable, but it's just a personal preference.

- Regardless of how much gear I'm carrying, I'm always concerned about theft. I've been travelling for a long time and I've never had anything stolen...I'd like to keep it that way. Plus, I'll be living out of a backpack for 3-4 months, the less stuff I have, the better off I am. In fact, the whole reason I'm getting a NEX is to reduce the size, weight and value of my belongings. If I start adding valuable "supporting" equipment, phone, chargers, etc, it becomes kind of pointless.

- Ahhh...I was wondering about the time lapse app...I was going to get that no matter what, since I love time lapses...if it can save the RAWs (or, better yet, the JPEGs...I really don't need RAWs of these), then I'm very, very happy about it! (As long as it lets me set the shutter speed parameter up to 30 seconds). I'm going to do some research on that time lapse app to see if it can indeed save each individual image...if it can, then that's my solution!

9. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yes, you will. But the sensor gets much hotter when doing long exposures on higher ISO levels.

Sure, but having GPS and WiFi in your pocket is too handy to leave it at home, especially if it only weighs 200 grams including the charger, imho.

I at least heard it can in some YouTube video, but do some research as I'm really not that sure. But if that's a solution that works for you - have fun!

10. LowriderS10

Mar 23, 2013
    Yeah, the smartphone would be nice, but I don't have one...I'd have to activate one in Korea (for GPS to work outside of the WiFi zone) and then take it with me and then just "abandon" it (ie: not pay my bill) since I'm not coming back to Korea for at least a few years, if ever...it's just not something I want to do. I do have an Android phone that I'm not using, I may take that and see if I can find a way to charge it via USB, not an actual charger...we'll see. I like travelling simply and without many valuables/belongings. I like to have a map, a camera and my clothes and that's it. :)

Hmm...I checked and yes, it can save it as a video OR individual pictures...this is perfect!!! Now...my follow-up question:

The Sony site doesn't tell you much detail about the program...There are a bunch of scenes (I'm not interested in that), plus a "Custom" mode. Do you know if the "Custom" mode lets you have *FULL* manual control over everything? (I want control over shutter speed, aperture, ISO, interval and perhaps total number of shots taken).

https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.com/portal/usbdetail.php?eid=IS9104-NPIA09014_00-000003

11. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I at least think that it works, but look for a YouTube video about this app - will easiliy give you these information.

12. LowriderS10

Mar 23, 2013
  13. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
  14. LowriderS10

Mar 23, 2013
    Thanks, but I don't think that would work for me...that one appears to take a ton of pictures in a second or two and then overlay them onto one frame...the shutter speed for that is a fraction of a second, I need it to be about 30 seconds per frame.

Either way, thanks for the suggestion...by the way...considering you have to pay for these apps (pretty weak, if you ask me), this is an interesting (dirty) trick from Sony:

"Samples and on-screen displays are simulated."

Why not put up REAL samples??!!

15. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    Wow I didn't notice those texts before :biggrin: