1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is there a remote for taking long exposure (longer than 30s) with a NEX-5R or a NEX-6?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by LowriderS10, Mar 23, 2013.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 TalkEmount Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    Hello all,

I'm going to be buying a NEX-5R or a NEX-6 in the near future, and I'm just wondering if there is any way to take pictures longer than 30 seconds. (Do these cameras even have a Bulb mode?) I do a lot of stuff like that with my current DSLRs and would like to have the option with the NEX when I get it.

Thanks,
    T

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I use one of the cheap wireless remotes from ebay on my 5N with no issues. Put camera in Bulb, press the remote button once to open the shutter and again to close it.

I assume it works the same way for the newer bodies. :)

3. LowriderS10

Mar 23, 2013
    That's excellent news! Thank you. :)

By the way...where do you find Bulb mode on these things? Do you have to toggle your shutter speed all the way past 30 to get to it? I'm used to DSLRs that just have a Bulb mode on the dial, but I don't remember seeing it on either the NEX-6's physical mode dial or the 5R's virtual one...

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Yes, that's exactly what you have to do. Painful, but there it is. ;)

5. LowriderS10

Mar 23, 2013
    Wicked, thanks! I can live with that...I read some reviews that bemoaned the fact that the NEX's longest shutter speed was only 30s vs. the M4/3 camera's (can't remember which one they were comparing it to, OM-D, I think) was 60s...for me, as long as there's a Bulb mode, it's really not a big deal.

Follow-up question: Will *ALL* wireless remotes (regardless of the brand) do what you described? Trip the shutter open on first press, shut on the second in Bulb mode? Or do I have to look for something specific?

By the way, I apologize if this is a dumb post, but I've Googled this and couldn't find any conclusive stuff...a lot of the "remote" searches on Google on the 5R/6 deal with their capabilities to be controlled remotely by smartphones...something I have no interest in.

6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    As far as I know they all work the same. Mine looks like this. There's probably 40 different names on them, probably all made in some guys garage. ;)

7. LowriderS10

Mar 23, 2013
    Awesome, thanks...about as simple as they come, eh! I'll definitely get one when I get my NEX! :D

8. ErickSaint

ErickSaint TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
  9. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    as already mentioned , you need a remote control to make long exposicones for over 30s, as Bimjo said,'' set the camera in Bulb, press the remote button to open the shutter eleven and again to close it'' on ebay you can find a myriad of brands and prices, but they all do the same job, you have to check.

I bought over a year ago my IR, for use with the nex5n and worked perfectly and now I use it in my nex 7 and works without problems too.

10. LowriderS10

Mar 23, 2013
    Awesome!! Thank you both for your replies! Looks like a cheap, light, small, simple solution...I'm a fan! :D

11. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I wouldn't recommend the cheap ones. I've got a couple of them, and every single one failed me, whether because of heat, cold temperatures or a few waterdrops. The Sony RMT-DSLR2 does much better until now.

12. LowriderS10

Mar 23, 2013
    Thanks...it looks like that one's about $30 here (in South Korea)...I might just get one of each...to have a back-up...we'll see...even $30 for the genuine one isn't all that horrible...though it does have a lot of buttons I'd probably never use :p