1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is there a problem with this lens that wont change aperture?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by shaolin95, Jul 2, 2014.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Hi!
    I attached a picture showing this lens. It is not changing aperture. I tried with the Lens Turbo 2 and a normal FD adapter.
    The only difference I see is that piece of metal is not all the way to the side like it is on the other lenses I got and I am not sure how to make it move.

Attached Files:

2. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Is it stuck wide open? Or is it stuck at some other aperture?

If it's wide open, it could be something to do with the depth of field preview lever? It's function is to force the lens wide open for metering, regardless of what the aperture is actually set at.

3. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    seems to be wide open yes

4. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    First, I'm not an authority on anything...but I'll mention what I think.

That picture looks like the mount end of a FD 35-105 and the position of that aperture lever on the (top) right is in its max / wide open position of 3.5...it doesn't go past that point under any circumstances.

And that lever doesn't move while the lens is dismounted from the camera (or adapter) without the corresponding extremely tiny little detent pin down in the circumference being depressed.

If it won't move when mounted that suggests to me a problem where either that tiny pin is not depressing, or deeper, where some internal associated mechanical action is not taking place even if the little pin is being depressed.

5. 986ster

986ster TalkEmount Regular

Jan 15, 2013
    My FD adapter has an "open - lock" ring on it. It has to be on "lock" for the aperture ring to adjust.
    Is there a similar ring on your adapter?

6. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Yes but I did a test from youtube where I can see that metal thing moving as I turn my FD adapter but the blades are not closing so based on what I have been testing it looks like the blades are stuck :/
    Luckily the seller has another that he is sending me so maybe I will try to fix it following another video I saw in youtube for FD lenses...though that one was a prime not a zoom so not sure if I will mess up. :)

7. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    IMO, FD lens mounts are the most finicky of any of the legacy lenses I've used.

• Like Like x 2
  8. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    That is interesting, I must have 25 FD lenses and have never had a problem in 30 years

• Like Like x 2
  9. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    And another thing...no one can judge / indict any brand of lens that has a problem as being typical of the brand when they're bought off of a place like EBay.

Just for starters, there's always the chance somebody is dumping a lens on EBay because it developed a problem...and/or think about all the lenses that probably found their way onto EBay AFTER the Tsunami floods in Japan...we already know unscrupulous sellers sell cars that have been flooded while claiming they're just fine.

No, Canon FD lenses are as solid as a rock and have had a worldwide rock solid reputation for decades...

10. Dan Euritt

Dan Euritt TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    this probably won't help, it sounds like the blades are stuck, but fwiw:

canon-fdn-lens-mount-to-sony-nex-a7r-adapter.

11. WT21

Aug 7, 2011
    I find putting FD lenses onto the adapters can be a trial sometimes (it's not slide and twist, it's putting it in straight, and it doesn't always go in the first time). Then, you need to make sure the lock mechanism is twisted. FD is worse than FDn, because with FD, you have two rings to twist, if I remember correctly. MD, for example. Side in, twist, done.

12. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Oh, whenever I say "FD LENSES", the context is always referring to the newer / latest / most current / most widespread / most obvious form of Canon's bread & butter lenses from film days...some go to the extra lengths of calling them NEW FD, or FD NEW, or nFD, or FDn, etc.
    And the contortions of what's required to mount lenses to adapters is really a function of adapter design, not the lens.
    For example, all my excellent CIECIO7 FD/NEX adapters have no sliding "on off switches", etc...just mount the lens onto the adapter, done.

13. WT21

Aug 7, 2011
    So, in conclusion, FDn only (not old FD nor FL) mounted onto premium mounts is like buttah. Yeah, I could agree with that. :)