Is there a Peaking ability of lenses

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by alaios, Aug 18, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Dear all,
    I wanted to ask/suggest if there is a peaking rating of lenses for the nex system. With that I mean the the forum users share their experience on how good a lens peaks or not.
    For example I have a Minolta MD 50mm prime lens, and I have real problem with the peaking at short distances. I think it woulld be useful to have this information shared so future users also benefit from this information before they buy their next lens.

Is there something like that?

2. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    How short are you talking about? Each lens is different. Even the same lens from the same company can be different. I have 4 versions if the minolta 50, 1.7 and all peak very well.... On on other note 1.7 is very dreamy compared to 2.8.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    The camera handles the peaking. It is the lens, and what settings you have set up that makes the real difference.
  4. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    The short answer is yes. Lenses all work differently when it comes to and in my experience the better contrast the lens has the better it peaks. For instance I have a Minolta 24/2.8 that I like quite a bit but it does not peak well. My Vivitar 28/2 and Minolta 50/1.4 however peak REALLY well. I have also noticed that some lenses peak better at specific aperture ranges.
  5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    I agree with the others that peaking differs from lens to lens. I seem to be lucky in that almost every lens peaks very well on my NEX-6, with the possible exception of a few ones wide-open that I don't remember now. A general list doesn't seem very useful to me because I suspect there will be quite some variation between lens samples of even the same type with respect to peaking, and from others I've learned that there can be difference between camera samples as well. I remember that nianys posted that her two NEX-7's were quite different in this respect.

Concerning the Minolta 50mm, you might want to stop down to f/2.8 or f/4 to see if it makes a difference, I'd expect peaking to improve.