1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is there a compact 18-55mm lense. NEX-F3

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by alaios, Jan 11, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Dear all,
    I am looking for a compact lense for my nex-f3 camera. My wife wants to reduce cameras size so it can easier fit to pockets. I have googled a bit and it looks like that sony released this lense

SEL1855 | 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Standard Zoom Lens | Sony | Sony Store USA

there are many people though commenting that these lenses are good for series 6 as the camera applies software correction. My idea was to sell the default 18-55lenses that came with the camera and buy a second handed compact lense to allow me be more flexible.

What do you think. How crazy such choise is? I can not afforde just buying the compact lense I need to sell the other one (at German ebay these are sold for 150 euros and new compact costs 250)

Alex

2. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    That lens is the just the kit 18-55 its just the same as the 1 you already have well its the same as the one that came with my f3. I would keep it and have a look at the sel16f28 I just picked one of these up new from eBay for $112au much smaller its a prime so no zoom but don't forget there is also in camera 2x zoom if you are not totally fussy about the perfect image quality.

SEL16F28 | 16mm f/2.8 Wide-Angle Lens | Sony | Sony Store USA

3. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    I think the ideal is to have something like 30-55mm with a compact form. The Sony nex 1855 looks still quite expensive.

4. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
  5. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
  6. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi my idea,
    was to sell my default lenses for 100-150 euros (Ebay price) and try to buy the 1650 from ebay as new for 250euros.
    That would of course leave me with one lens less.

7. Grisu_HDH

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Well, yeah, could be an idea...
    Remember that ebay needs time to get the right grab, so don't pay to much or loss to much..
    Good luck!

8. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    I think this mostly boils down in what I loose with the default lenses and migrating to the retractable ones. Is there so much of quality loss? Is autofocus slower? Does it work well with nex-f3 (there are people saying, I googled it, that it works well with nex 6 series that applies software correction). These are the things bothering me now..

9. Grisu_HDH

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Don't know if there are many people out there using the 16-55 with a Nex3.
    Think most bought it with the Nex6 as kit lens...
    I just know that you cannot update lens firmwares with a 3...
    I really would think about keeping the kit 18-55and getting a prime lens as the often mentioned Sigma 30mm or the 16F28 to keep the size and weight down but gives you great quality for money to crop if you need it.
    When I use the Sigma I started use the so called "natural builtin zoom" sometimes also called feet... ;-)

10. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    From what I've read, I believe the SEL18-55 is optically better, but the SEL PZ16-50 is more compact... so either zoom choice will involve a compromise. It depends what kind of photography you do and what is your priority.

11. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks I will wait also for others to comment on the topic. As it looks like that these compact lenses 16-50 will not work well for a nex-f3. Enjoy your weekend

12. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex

Great these are fully compatible E series lenses Right? Auto focus should also work...
    Do you also have a list for all the compatible e series lenses. That might be the answer to my questions, 3rd party full compatible lenses.

13. Grisu_HDH

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Unfortunately there aren't many 3rd party lenses for the E-mount available at the moment:
    - Sigma 19mm 2.8
    - Sigma 30mm 2.8
    - Tamron 18-200mm
    Did I miss one?

The Sony lineup can bee seen on their homepage.

14. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Samyang fisheye as well, but that is manual focus only.
    Samyang 8mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC Fisheye Lens Review

I am surprised Tamron have not made more lenses for Nex as they are part owned by Sony and some Alpha mount lenses like the Sony 55-200 are basically rebadged Tamrons.

The Sigmas are very cheap - as low as £99 each at the moment.

15. Grisu_HDH

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
  16. Orange

Orange TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
  17. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    This might explain a lot
    Code:

from the Sony E PZ 16-50 f/3.5-5.6 OSS E-mount lens review | Camerahoarders.com | Page 2

All put together, I think it’s best to split the conclusion for two type of users:

1. If you shoot mostly or always JPEG and intent to use SEL1650 on the latest generation NEX camera bodies ONLY, go for it without hesitation. Software correction will fix all there’s to fix and you won’t even know the lens has optical problems. E 16-50mm is small and sharp and will perform just fine.

2. If you are a regular RAW shooter or intent to use 16-50mm lens on an older NEX camera which doesn’t have the built-in light fall-off and geometric distortion correction (please check you manual or camera menu to locate these options) think twice (thrice) before swapping your old E 18-55mm for the new E 16-50. Wide angle performance is questionable, and I wouldn’t recommend spending your time trying to fix it in post-process… It is good above 20mm, but what’s the point of having a 16mm lens that must be zoomed in to perform well? You are better off with 18-55, 16mm, and especially 35mm and 50mm prime lenses. 

18. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Seems to be a bit of confusion going on here. The 2 kit zooms currently available for NEX are the 18-55 and 16-50 power zoom. The latter is fully compatible with all NEX bodies, but only "optimized" (PDAF enabled, light fall off auto correction in jpeg) for the latest bodies (namely 6, 5R probably, but not sure).
    Optically wise (I've had both) neither is a great performer, the 18-55 looks slightly better to me, but I find them average at best (an excellent kit zoom was the Panasonic 15-45 for m4/3, but that's another story). The 16-50 is notably smaller and more compact, in my book it's its only advantage over the 18-55 (and power zooms are better for video shooters). In real life situations I've found the new PDAF available on the 6 with enabled lenses to be marginally better than the old CDAF of earlier models, but nothing earth shattering.
    Weirdly enough the best AF performance for any NEX combo that I tried seems to be achieved using the black 18-55 lens on a NEX 7 body (??).
    If you want the most compact and most versatile lens you can get for NEX, then I guess the 16-50 is it. If you're a demanding user hooked on optical greatness, it's probably not for you though...

19. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria