1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Is the Techart Pro adapter robust?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Amin Sabet, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I keep thinking about buying the Techart Pro to use with a Voigtlander 35/1.7 on my A9.

What stops me is the price and the idea of some little AF motor crammed in an adapter. For some reason, I worry that it will give out after a while.

Are TAPs robust?

2. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    I'd opt instead for the Fotodiox Pronto Pro adapter. Techart's customer service is non-existent. The Pronto Pro is a knock off but works exactly the same and uses the same TAP firmware update method via Bluetooth. Not to mention Fotodiox covers their adapter for two years.

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Is it true that Eye AF doesn't work with these adapters? I love Eye AF.

4. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    It works with the latest FW updates with the A7/R III + all AF selection modes. I presume it's the same with the A9.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Nice, I just placed my order. Thanks, Jonathan!

• Like Like x 1
  6. tino84

tino84 TalkEmount Regular

Feb 20, 2014
    I found it used for half price, and based on it, I think it is well build.
    I can not drive heavy lenses (at the moment I only got a Jupiter-8 and a voigtlander 15 4,5 ), I don’t find it very fast, but it’s more than acceptable ( I have a r2 so a little slower than your a9 ).
    Here in EU its price is around 350-400€, soooooo much: for about half price ( and how many and wich lenses do you have ) it becomes a good buying.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Whats a good portrait lens to use with TAP/Pronto? I'm okay with slower speed if it means lighter and more compact.

8. siftu

siftu TalkEmount Regular

Jan 30, 2016
    I have the techart on the a7iii. I'm pleased with it overall but I dont expect it to last forever, having read about the wobble etc. The vintage portrait lenses I have are OM 100/2, OM 100/2.8 and Steinheil 135mm f2.8. If I support the lens with my hand under it, it drives them just fine and eye-AF does work. The OM 100/2.8 is particularly light/small/cheap and is a nice travel portrait lens.

9. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    I find any lens with a maximum focus distance of 20 feet before infinity and something fairly lightweight is the best combination. The problem with a lot of older portrait lenses is that they are a bit dreamy or not sharp wide open. I think the Voigtlander 75mm 2.5 should work well, though I haven't tried it on the TAP or the FPP (Fotodiox Pronto Pro).

If you want something cheap and special, a Helios 44-2 or 44-3 58mm f2 are incredibly sharp wide open for an old lens and has that super unique swirly bokeh, great for kid shots. Only problem is that it's a center only lens since the corners get soft. I'm partial to the 44-3 mainly because it's multi-coated for good contrast. An older Nikon 100mm f2.8 Series E should also be good and I've seen those go for quite cheap.

I've also dismantled a TAP and from my observations of the internals, the motor looks to be the weakest point. On the positive side, I've sourced micro motors on Amazon Prime that should match if by any chance you get motor failure after the warranty period ends. It should just be a simple solder job to replace. Everything else is fairly mechanical and the circuitboard should hold up unless it gets damaged by water or something. Also the TAP and FPP internals are practically interchangeable. Mechanically the TAP is just slightly more robust, but I don't think it makes much difference in real world use.

Picture: Micro motor and gearing assembly on the lower half of the adapter, can be purchased as a whole unit on Amazon Prime (probably less than $20 USD), and to the right side is the connection wire area that would need to be soldered if doing a motor replacement:

IMG_20180529_140227788_2.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Thanks, Jonathan! Super informative. I forgot about the Voigtlander 75/2.5. I was considering the Voigtlander 75/1.8, but it seemed a bit heavy.

Have you heard anything good or bad about the HandeVision Iberit 75/2.4 or 90/2.4?

11. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    I haven't tried the HandeVision lenses. I passed up on a good deal awhile back on the HandeVision 75/2.4, but didn't buy it because I already have way too many lenses in that focal range. I know some here like the CV 75mm 1.8 on the TAP, but when I tried one I found it a bit heavy and the copy I tested wasn't very good wide open. This is one area I haven't found great success and usually stick below 58mm using the adapter. Though my go-to combination is the Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Heliar II and the 40mm 1.4 Nokton. I like these two mainly due to size, despite newer versions being available. Also the issue of the Sony sensor stack glass being so thick really ruins the corner sharpness. I've been thinking of doing the glass conversion on my A7II, but it's like a $400 conversion job. If a TAP like adapter showed up on the Nikon Z, I'd probably switch in a heartbeat, since the Nikon glass stack is significantly thinner.

I forgot to mention 7Artisans has the 50mm 1.1, the 35mm f2 in M mount and have a 28mm 1.4 coming soon! I hope they do a portrait lens soon with a short focus throw which would be ideal on the TAP.

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I'm sure it will be here sooner than later!

13. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    I hope so. I'd love a TAP style adapter and also another adapter that screw drives AF-D lenses while using OSPDAF! You could build a small fast prime kit with the AF-D 20mm 2.8, 35mm f2, 50mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.8 lenses. Actually those lenses aren't half bad on the TAP as well, but will need a Nikon adapter. The Nikon 85mm 1.8 has a short focus throw, so I don't think manual focus adjustments would be necessary.

14. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I keep hoping for a Mark II version of the TAP to fix the wobble issue, but nothing appears to be forthcoming. That, and the weight restriction keeps stopping me from getting it due to the one lens I'd most want to use is my Canon 85/1.9, which is incredibly heavy.

But I really want to be able to put my father's old LTM lenses on my A7R3 and have AF and IBIS. One of these days...

• Like Like x 1
  15. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I have 2 m-mount af adapters + contax g af adapter from the same seller. I didn't see any wobble issues, maybe I am not that picky as I used it more for portraits and stopped down for landscapes. Also I am using the small/light lenses on the adapters, eg Contax g / ZM 50mm 1.5, MS Optics lenses. I used CV 75mm 2.5 on nex/m43 and had high purple fringing like most fast CV lenses. I am getting the new Ms Optics lens 73mm 1.3, not perfect but usually they are smallest lenses esp use it with A6500 which discards the weak corners. Here is a review and the sellers images:
    商品レビュー:MS-OPTICS-R&D ゾンネタール 73/1.5(ライカMマウント)
    Camera Geekery: MS Optics Sonnetar 1.5/73 FMC - Japan Camera Hunter

HandeVision lenses were not big sellers and did not find even reviews. I saw couple used ones were selling with big discounts. Other small options are used Leica 75mm/90mm 2.5 which can be found cheaper then f2.4 ones.

Here is also 35mm comparison that shows that you might need a front filter for CV 35mm 1.7 if you want to use it for landscapes:
    35mm Comparison: Voigtlander VM 1.7, Zeiss Loxia 2.0 and ZM 1.4, Leica FLE 1.4 - phillipreeve.net
    Rangefinder wide angle lenses on a7 cameras - problems and solutions

• Like Like x 1
  16. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
  17. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
  18. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    I tried the Leica 75mm 2.5, that's a nice lens! I'd get that over either Voigtlander 75mm lenses, if you have the budget for it. :D 

19. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    Techart is basically a shell company now, they don't respond to customer service inquiries, hence my support for the Fotodiox Pronto adapter, due to customer service and warranty support despite being a IP ripoff. Fotodiox is also only in the market of copying or ripping off other adapter makers, so I wouldn't hold my breath on a new version. It's a bummer though, because the tech behind it is actually really innovative!

20. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    And just like that, it's here. Due Monday, here today. I have better luck with B&H free shipping than I do with Amazon 1-day shipping.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.