Is the Sony SEL16F28 a true wide angle lens?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Benjamin, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin TalkEmount Regular

Or it just considered wide angle cause its 16mm? Sorry for the stupid question lol
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're asking, Benjamin. But yes, a 16mm lens on an APS-C camera (24mm equivalent) is generally considered a true wide angle lens.
  3. Benjamin

Ok thanks. I guess im asking if being 16mm is and of it self wide angle, or are wide angle lenses different than normal lenses.. Like are there 16mm normal lenses and wide angle 16mm lenses.
  4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    I see now what you're asking. Although there is some fuzziness around the line where "normal" crosses over into "wide," I think most would agree that a 16mm lens falls pretty squarely into the "wide" category in APS-C cameras. The mm measurement tells you how wide the field of view of a lens is, and 16mm is much wider than the "normal" human eye's field of view (which is somewhere around 28mm in APS-C terms), so I have a hard time imagining how anyone could consider a 16mm lens anything but a wide angle lens.
  5. Benjamin

Ah okies, Asking because Im considering getting it, but i already have the 18-55 lens, and if theres the 16mm lens is just 2mm down and specifically designed to have a wider than normal angle, then its not really worth the 250 for just 2mms I think. Kinda sucks cause i can't afford the 800 for the 10 - 22? wide angle lens.
  6. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    16mm on APS-C is certainly wide, and is almost ultra-wide. The rule of thumb I've seen is a focal length between the width and height of the sensor would be considered wide. Anything shorter than the height of the sensor would be ultra-wide.

FF: 24-36 would be wide. 35 is a common wide angle, along with 28's and 24's. Anything under 24 would be ultra-wide
    APS-C: 16-24 would be wide. 10-16 would be an ultra-wide zoom. 10-22 would be both wide and ultra-wide
  7. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    It's noticeably wider than 18mm of the kit lens. 2mm does not make much of a difference between 30mm and 32mm but 16mm vs 18mm it is much more of a difference. In addition, you can always add the ECU1 converter on the 16mm to make it a 12mm which really gives some interesting perspectives. You should be able to find the 16mm for around 100-150$ used easily. For 250, you should be able to get the 16mm + the ECU1 wide angle converter.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Gandalf

Gandalf TalkEmount Regular

Sep 5, 2013
    A "normal lens" is defined as a lens with focal length equal to the diagonal dimension of the film or sensor. In practice, of course the focal length can vary a little; I consider anything that is with about 10-15 percent of the exact dimension as being in the normal range. For the APS-C sensor, lenses from about 24mm to 35mm are more or less normal, with 27-28mm the sweet spot.

If the focal length is shorter than normal, then it is a wide angle lens. People subdivide wide lenses into wides and superwides and ultrawides, but there's no definite point(s) where you draw the line between those.

So, long story short, any 16mm is a wide angle lens when used on an APS sensor...
  9. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    there are also two convertes to use on that lens.
    I do not remember though
    1. their model names
    2. if they will affect the speed of the lens
  10. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    1. - Super Wide Angle = ECU-1
    - Fish Eye = ECF-1
    Both highly recommended from my side
    2. No