Is the Nikon 70-300mm so damn good?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by alaios, Jul 12, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi I just read this guide here:
    Nikon 70-300mm G

What do you think? Is it that good that the guy says? What about compared the zoom lens of sony?

Regards
    A

2. Electric Shepherd

Electric Shepherd TalkEmount Regular

May 12, 2012
    Leicestershire, U.K.
    Ben
    I can't say, but even as a Nikon user, I'd take our Ken's reviews with a pinch of salt...

3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    The review isn't all that favourable and it dates back from 2008, based on tests with the D70, a 6 MP camera. I'd try to get a good sample of the Sony E 55-210mm, with goodies like autofocus and stabilization. Buy one with a store with a good return policy, because you may get a bad sample and want to return or exchange it. I just ordered my 3rd sample, with Amazon UK this time, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed, the previous 2 samples weren't good.

Oh, and I had to return my Nikkor 70-300mm at the time because it was unsharp at the left side, and it was the ED version with metal mount...

4. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi thanks a lot for the answers.
    What zoom lenses are there that I should try consider for my nex? I can afford only the 55-210 (in some reviews though regarding image quality does not score too high) and why not some legacy lens.

5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Four reasons: size, weight, auto-focus, and stabilization.

6. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    So you say that the kit len is
    lighter, smaller than the legacy ones? Thanks I did not know that since I have touched more than 3 lenses in my life. Can you share me some pictures with the two zoom lenses you have Sony SEL55210 | Minolta MD 70-210mm f/4 ? I am also tempted to ask why you also have a minolta your self while also having the kit lens?
    Thanks a lot

7. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    If you go for a legacy lens I would not buy a Minolta MD 70-210/4. Sure, it's good but also heavy, large and difficult to focus at its largest focal length. When I want a zoom I use a Minolta MD 50-135/3.5, which is a good compromise between zoom range, size and weight. Its image quality is also quite good when stopped down to f/5.6. However, the Sony SEL-55210 is a very convenient lens, no doubt about that: it has autofocus, very effective image stabilization and is fairly light and not too big. Yesterday I have ordered my third sample after having returned two of them, Sony's quality control is in need of quality control itself...

8. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick

I agree with Ad about the MD 70-210 f/4 however if you feel like you need the longer FL of 210mm and don't want to spend as much for the 55-210mm, as strange as it sounds I would suggest the variable aperture MD 70-210 f/4.5-5.6.

Its very compact for such a zoom lens (91mm, smaller than the SEL55-210), very lightweight at only 330g (lighter than the SEL55-210) and thus quite easy to handle/focus. The reviews I've read and the suggestions I was getting about this lens were bad but because I prefer to test things personally before coming into a conclusion I bought this lens and tried it today. During my holidays in August I plan to put all my Minolta lenses to a test and post some sample images.
    At its max focal lenght its not the sharpest lens out there but overall I'm very satisfied with the image quality and its quite good at f/8. Its not a lens for low light conditions (not fast) but as I undestand it neither is the SEL55-210. On the other hand I'm not so "demanding" as my friend Ad above since I also find most of my MDs good (expect the 35-105) :D

9. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I also agree with Ad about the MD 70-210 f/4. It's a heavy and huge beast of a lens, and not one I ever casually toss in my camera bag just in case. If I'm going to use it, I'm going to be taking along at least a monopod, so it's not a walk-around lens. The SEL55210 however is easy to take along. Here's the comparison photo you asked for Alex:

Lenses.

According to my cheap postal scale, the MD weighs in at 808 gm if you count the lens hood and adapter, whereas the Sony only weighs 383 gm.

As to why I have them both, I bought the MD late last year, and have used it sparingly. But just last week I found the SEL on ebay for US$200, which was within my comfort zone. Yes, it's a bit softer in the corners than the MD, but it has less CA, and as I mentioned above, it is a lens I will take along just in case. Had I spent Zeiss money on it, I'd be far less forgiving of its shortcomings. But life is full of tradeoffs, and this is one I'm more than willing to make. After all, one of the salient reasons to get a NEX is because of the size and weight.

I haven't yet decided whether or not to sell the MD, but I suspect that I will.

10. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Could you please share some photos?
    Alex

11. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks for the answer and the shot. I could try also a bit on ebay for lower price of 55210,... otherwise I should go for MF lens.

12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    That's the old Nikon 70-300 and not the new one...This is the newest one...:smile:

4402733250_058d08b852_z.
    'Stricken With NAS' by RedTail_Panther, on Flickr

13. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Sure!!! Here's one from today's test:

9277224041_d3a8f15bdf_c.

MD 70-210mm @ 210mm, shot from about 2-2,5m, f/8, iso 400, 1/160, shot RAW and converted to LR with mininal PP (let me know if you want any other specs/info)

Notes:
    Might not be 100% accurate on focus since I was only relaying on the LCD for focus peaking (mid/yellow) - it was a very sunny morning here in Cyprus. And you know how bad the LCD on the older Nex is when in bright sunlight...
    This lens is prone to flare and I need to buy a lens hood for it.
    No, what you see at the bottom left of the cats fur is not sensor dust - this was one dirty cat, lol :D

Hope this helps ;)

14. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Yes you indeed helped. Feel free to share more pics if you indeed take more shots.
    Do not you find it a bit heavy though for daily use and too large?

Regards
    Alex

15. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    As I wrote before, no I don't. Its much smaller and half the weight of the MD 70-210 f/4 and about the same with the SEL55-210

16. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    but you also have the MD 70-210 f/4 or not? How did you shoot this cat? What was the lens?

17. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I don't have the f/4 version
    I shoot this cat with the f/4.5-5.6 version of the MD 70-210mm ;)

18. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick