1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is the NEX-5N the bettet NEX for video? And advice about buy

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Manu-4Vendetta, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Manu-4Vendetta

Manu-4Vendetta TalkEmount Regular

Apr 7, 2013
    Dominican Republic
    Emmanuel Peña
    Hello, I have some questions that I have something uneasy in the last days.

IM looking for a NEX as a second body, I have a Panasonic GH2 is excellent, but I will use only for video and the NEX for photo still, so is important that the NEX produces good quality video.

I'm in love of the NEX-6, but the videos I've seen made with her look very lamp, instead of the NEX-5N produces good quality video. Some have positions for and against in that aspect of the NEX-6, it is argued that sometimes internet compression reduces the quality, which its some true, but the videos of the NEX-5N look good, I've done GH2 video uploaded to internet and although loses quality, this is superior to what I've seen of the NEX-6.

Any NEX its over the GH2 in photo still, and although the basic use will be photo, I'd say 80% photo and 20% video, if I need that if I record something and I need a camera support for the GH2 that second camera was a standard of quality.

To the end I think'll buy the 5N, also is cheaper, although the body its little ugly.

So, I can buy just the body, I have some manual lenses, but if I decide I'm thinking of the Sigma DN, although they are two different focus, but the Sigma seem to give good quality without being too expensive.

Thanks and sorry for muy poor english.

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I can't personally answer your questions, but I'm sure someone here can and will though. Welcome to the forum. :)

3. Manu-4Vendetta

Apr 7, 2013
    Dominican Republic
    Emmanuel Peña
    Thanks Bimjo!

4. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I just finished a commercial with a nice budget that I shot entirely on a NEX-6. I'm still under a NDA agreement, so I can't post it here, but let me say: The video quality was great! Sure I used professional lighting (spent €400 for 1 day renting of the lighting equipment alone) as well as a steadicam, several tripods and so on - BUT: In the end, the video quality of the camera was the deciding factor. The commercial is going to be shown in a cinema, and I'm very confident the quality is good enough.

Sure the 5N as well as the 7 are a little bit better when it comes to resolution and moire, but with the right accessories - and more importantly with good lighting - the NEX-6s video quality is as good as any 1080p video cameras quality.

Well, at least as long as you are happy with what you got out of the camera. Adjusting white balance or colors afterwards is practically impossible due to the bad codec. But yep, if you have time to plan a shooting and get everything right, the 6 is an awesome video camera for its price.

5. Manu-4Vendetta

Apr 7, 2013
    Dominican Republic
    Emmanuel Peña
    Thank you Poki, ¿can you share by private some shot of that work? I promise discretion and delete after see it.

By economy i wold buy have the 5N, but I think if I add a EVF then cost me about the same as the NEX-6.

6. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I can send you some clips on wednesday. That's when I have time to export them as well as when I know if the guys who pay like it. ;)

Actually, the video quality difference between the 5N and the 6 wouldn't be a deciding factor for me. The difference simply is too small. If you want something better, well, your options are a GH3, a GH2 with hack, a Blackmagic Cinema Camera, a Blackmagic Cinema Camera MFT or even a Sony NEX-VG20/30 with a Blackmagic HyperDeck Shuttle 2 as external recorder. All of these options are more expensive, but they are also actually better.

7. Manu-4Vendetta

Apr 7, 2013
    Dominican Republic
    Emmanuel Peña
    I have a GH2, I said that the NEX would be to photo still, but I may need a second camera in some circumstance.

8. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Then you've made the perfect choice.

9. Martytoof

Martytoof TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 23, 2013
    Some models of the 5N (maybe all?) suffer from an audible "click" being present on the video. Go to youtube and search for "NEX 5N click" and you should get good examples. Sony will fix this under warranty, but if you're buying secondhand then you might want to steer clear of this model unless you're sure you'll get a valid warranty. Also I guess this point is moot if you plan to use external audio recording equipment.

I can't be bothered to fix mine since I don't want to send the camera away and I record very little video. It is a little annoying though.

10. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    You must also take into account that the 5N is prone to overheating problem when recording video. You can flip up the LCD screen while recording to avoid this but this trick will not work if you are in an area with already high temperature.

11. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 TalkEmount Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    I've read about the overheating issue...is this an issue for the NEX-6? And how long of a video can you take (I realize it depends on environmental factors) before it overheats? (Let's say at room temperature).

12. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    No, it's not. It only was an issue with the first NEX-5Ns shipped.

And at room temperature, it took about 5-7 minutes for most cameras to overheat. Anyways, the problem now is solved with more power efficient BIONZ CPUs.

13. Manu-4Vendetta

Apr 7, 2013
    Dominican Republic
    Emmanuel Peña
    Poki, and the video withe the NEX-6? :biggrin:

Yes, I know. But I dont buy for video exactly, just if I need an for example a shot in 60p for slow motion that I have understood that there is better than GH2 which would use a few minutes.