1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is the focus peaking on the A7 II less noticeable versus the A7?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by JonathanF2, Jun 1, 2016.

1. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    I recently received my A7 II and I tried using my adapted lenses and I noticed the focus peaking to not be as prominent color-wise versus my A7. I just want to confirm if other users of both cameras notice the difference? I'm forced to go into magnify view more often with the A7 II as opposed to the A7 which seems to pick up contrast much better. To my eye, focus peaking on the A7 II set on high looks more like low on the A7. Thanks for any feedback!

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Having owned both, I wish I could help. But I confess that I never compared the two.

3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Never heard of anything like that tbh.
    Peaking is offcourse scence dependad as you know (did you compare with the same scene, lighting etc?) but I also found that peaking is also lens dependad, some lenses peak better than others - which I'm sure its not the case here :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    On the A6000 you can set hi/mid/low levels of peaking. Maybe you can kick it up a notch.

5. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    I have the A7 II on high and it doesn't have the same intensity as the 1st A7 set on medium.

6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I have read that the focus peaking intensity depends on the actual copy you have, that goes as far as back as when the first NEXes appeared with peaking. For what it's worth, I have rented an A7R II and subsequently bought one and peaking surely behaved differently between the two cameras: with the rented one I could focus dead-on without magnified view because peaking sensitivity was rather low, my present one shows more peaking so I have to go to magnified view to focus accurately.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    I must say the the peaking intensity on my A7 is stronger than on my A7R.

8. Chris Munden

Chris Munden TalkEmount Regular

May 13, 2016
    Peter Bower
    My old SLT A37 has good focus peaking which is very prominent in the EVF, I use FP more than auto especially with my Minolta glass and I usually get sharp in focus pics. My only criticism with FP on all Sony's is it is not zone selective so you have to judge to a point which part of the picture is in sharp focus, although with practice you begin to see which part of the high lighted areas are in focus and those which are not, usually a small Aperture like F-11 + with greater depth of field will take care of objects close by the main subject matter, open up a bit possibly below F-5.6 - and you need to be more precise. Have you tried a different colour, I find yellow set as medium very good, I never need to magnify my FP

9. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    After repeatedly going back and forth with the same adapted lens (Nikon 50mm 1.8 AI-S on a Nikon F/E adapter), I'm pretty sure the A7 has a bit more intensity with focus peaking over the A7 II. Also I find the A7 EVF a tad brighter as well. It's not a deal breaker, but it's noticeable going back and forth between the two bodies and shooting MF. The A7 just picks up that contrast detail especially in the eyes during portraitures, not so much with the A7 II. If you're an AF shooter, it's a non-issue really.

Honestly, if I was just shooting MF in good light, the original A7 isn't that far behind the A7 II. It's still a very good camera and is physically smaller. You can definitely notice the weight on the mk. II whereas the mk. I is non-obtrusive weight-wise. I was originally planning to sell the A7, but I'm not sure anymore! :p:D

10. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    That's weird, so does that mean Sony slightly changes specs within the same model camera? Different parts, sensors, etc?

11. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Not enjoying IBIS with MF lenses ?

12. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Haha, I'll probably push the camera this weekend. Test shots look good as low as 1/15th! I originally wanted an A7S, but I bought this A7 II in like-new condition for a decent price.

13. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

I felt the same way about my A7, Jonathan, when I got an A7rII. The weight is definitely noticeable. I had planned on keeping mine, but the need to replace a dead laptop changed that plan.

Still miss it.

14. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Just production variations in components, I'm guessing.

15. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    I just figured out what was causing my problem! If you have the 'Setting Effects' set to OFF on the A7, it doesn't affect focusing peaking. On the A7 II you have to put the 'Setting Effects' set to ON to maintain the same intensity as the A7. If you set it to OFF, it actually lowers FP intensity. This problem is solved! :thumbsup:

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Good for you! :2thumbs: And thanks a lot for sharing this, it also makes a (small) difference on the A7R II. Your post revived an old memory that peaking also can depend on the Creative Style setting, and it does, it's even more influential than the Live View Display setting. Who knows, maybe there are other settings that affect peaking.
    Thanks again! :clapping:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  17. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    I'm glad to hear it also made a difference with the A7R II. I guess Sony did a bunch of little change with how things function!

18. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    If you shoot RAW, some people will set the Creative Style to Black & White. Then the only color is your peaking color, so theoretically it is easier to see. This does mean the embedded preview image in the RAW will be B&W, which is probably a minor point for most RAW shooters but some software uses that for thumbnails.