Is the beginners trinity (dual kit + 35mm F1.8) "good enough" on an A6000

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by WookieeGunner, Dec 30, 2015.

1. WookieeGunner

WookieeGunner TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 17, 2015
    So I've been shooting an A6000 with the beginners trinity (16-50PZ, 55-210, and 35mm f1.8). I've got some year end cash I can spend on some new lenses but everything I'm seeing seems to imply there aren't any mid-range (say $500-$800) upgrade lenses. I'm used to the Canon and Nikon world where there are solid first upgrade lenses (for example the 18-105 or 18-140 Nikkor). Does e-mount not have that?

I tend to shoot wide and was looking at the Zeiss 16-70 for example, yet real world photos don't seem to really show a big improvement over the 16-50 power zoom. Or am I missing something? I totally understand pro's needing $1500+ lenses, but I'm looking for something that creates prints I don't mind hanging on my wall, not the Met's.

2. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Are you looking for zooms? Emount zooms from Sony are mostly in the FE series (full-frame). You can use these just fine on the A6000, but they are larger and more expensive. If you like really wide, I have the SEL1018 (10-18mm f4) which is intended to be an APS-C lens, and which is very nice in my opinion. You can find pretty easily find it used in your price range.

For native primes, you might want to consider the SEL24F18 (24mm f1.8). I have not managed to afford one yet, but those who have them are generally very impressed with their performance. You already have the 35mm f1.8, and there is the 50mm f1.8.There are also third-party emount lenses from the likes of Zeiss, Samyang, Rokinon, etc. I should probably note here the pretty affordable Sigma trio of 19mm, 30mm, and 60mm.

Have you considered lenses with other mounts? I would encourage you to try legacy glass. I am partial to Minolta, but Sony A-mount, Canon, Nikon, Leica, and most any other brand can be mounted on the A6000 with an adapter. "Dumb" adapters cost as little as $10, but you must focus and set aperture manually with these. If you are willing to spend up to a few hundred on the adapter, you can also use older autofocus lenses and get the EXIF metadata in your pictures to boot. You can pick up many good quality lenses from decades past for relatively low prices, sometimes less than $100. Be careful though, once you get started you may find you have more lenses than you have time to use. :cautious:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    IMO, the mid-range is a bit lacking in e-mount. The Sigma 60mm/2.8 is a nice change of pace from the other lenses you have listed. You could also look at the UWA zoom 10-18. Or the Rokinon 12mm/2.0 (MF lens).

• Like Like x 1
  4. WookieeGunner

Apr 17, 2015
    Yeah, I've mostly looked at the zooms. I like the convenience for travel photography. That being said I'm not completely adverse to primes. I'll take a look at the SEL24F18, thanks.

5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    You're pretty much covered in your FLs I'd say so if you like to shoot wide, then I'd look at the SEL10-18 (that would definately be my next lens if I stayed with the Nex-6).
    Having said that, I did love my the convinience of my 18-105G when I had it ;)

6. WookieeGunner

Apr 17, 2015
    How quick does the 18-105G zoom? One of our vacation spots is Walt Disney World and I always worry that if I want to take a picture of a float and then zoom in on the character on top the float will be gone before the zooming is done.

7. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    N├Žstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    :) The 60mm sigma and the 12mm rokinon are exactly the two I got besides the 16-50 kitzoom. Like mentioned I find the 24mm f1.8 extremely interesting as the slightly wide normal in my three lens kit

8. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    The 18-105 has a zoom ring and a power zoom button. The zoom ring is faster the button is smoother. I loaded this ()when I had the 18-105. Judge for yourself if the speed is good enough for you, but I had no problem with it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. WookieeGunner

Apr 17, 2015
    Wow, thanks. That is much faster than I was expecting. I was figuring it was less than half that speed.

10. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Thanks Gary! Never had a problem with the zoom speed of the 18-105G either

11. nidza

nidza TalkEmount Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    Serbia
    50 1.8 is a must have lens for small sensor e-mount.

I usually have always 20mm pancake instead kit zoom on A5100 in the bag, and 50 1.8 in small bag besides.

These big zooms are useful but not very much fun.

Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

It all depends. The XF1855/f2.8-4 has been one of the reasons I bought the Fuji X-Pro1 two years ago. It's one heck of a zoom lens and I wish I had something similar - tack sharp-fast-stabilised (and the rest of Fujis fantastic lens lineup) for the NEX but we all know the story. In the meantime I found ways to deal with the few drawbacks of X-Trans (RAW conversion) and the Fuji has become my main camera. I keep the NEX as digital back for my legacy glass and the Sigmas at base ISO and in good light.

13. Claude B.

Claude B. New to TalkEmount

Dec 23, 2015
    The other advantage is that 18-105mm is superb for video silent and smooth. Plus when zoom in or out, there is no pumping dust inside and also discreet because no one notice if you are in full zoom or not. Plus, Constant F4 maximum aperture.

14. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

It also has variable speed, so you can go really slow, or really quick.

15. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Under $300 - SEL 50mm 1.8

the 24mm 1.8 is a great lens but not cheap. If you can get a good copy under $650 used it's well worth it.

16. snpr9696

snpr9696 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 8, 2016
    Joe DAgostino
    Not to piggy back this thread but what's the best small or pancake lens for the a6000 that will still give me all the focusing modes available. I'd like a prime 35mm or 50mm but fast if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk