Is the A6000 the most like / most logical replacement for the NEX-7 ?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by roundball, Apr 29, 2014.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Questions for the brain trust:

At a glance the A6000 looks an awful lot like it's laid out the same way the NEX-7 is.

Anyone know how operationally similar the A6000 is compared to an NEX-7 ?

Also, some specific example / questions:
    1) Would current NEX / Canon FD adapters fit on the A6000 the same way they do on the NEX-7 ?

2) Does the A6000 use the same Sony battery as the NEX-7 ?

Thanks

2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    7 has tri navi controls, 6000 does not. This is a deal breaker for many. Most 7 owners appear to be waiting for an A7000 (if Sony make one) in the hope it will have super high megapixels, phase focus and tri navi controls. However the 7 is so good I can't see that everyone will feel the need to upgrade.

Description here https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answe...l-(aka-tri-navi)-function-and-how-is-it-used?
    The difference is the A6000 has the shoot mode dial in place of the left dial of the tri navi setup. So you only have the right and rear dial to adjust settings on the A6000. For me this is fine, but I certainly would be happy with tri navi!

All cameras on this forum will work with the same adapters - that are all emount. Only exception is the A7/A7r - they will work but you need a FF 35mm lens to take full advantage (but most legacy lenses are anyway).

All cameras on this forum use the same battery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    ^^You forgot the "horrible" G.A.S. :D

Also, as far as OPs question goes, I think the other difference is that the A6000 has an Alpha style menu instead of the Nex style menu (which many don't like) if I'm not mistaken

4. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    The nature of my question stemmed from working with Sony Customer Relations who has indirectly acknowledged that "perhaps the distinction between US and non-US NEX-7 advertisements could have been more clear regarding the NTSC vs. PAL design for video playback". So they decided on an “exchange offer”...send in my existing NEX-7 50i variant towards another camera...but it'll have to be some completely different model as they have no inventory of the NEX-7 left and aren't making them anymore. Asked what if I found / bought a new NEX-7 at an official Sony dealer, but for some reason they said no, the exchange body would have to come from within their own on hand inventory.

So yesterday they told me to research some models and get back to them with a suggestion and they'd see what they could do. I contacted them yesterday afternoon and asked about the A6000...and was told, oh, we don't have that in stock either. Told them it would have been nice if someone there could have told me that before I wasted a few hours on the Internet. They said sorry, it would have to be one of the following we have on hand and rattled off a few models. Told them I'd think about it and get back to them.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Meantime, I've run a simple test video on the 50i variant.
    It seemed to do fine recording / importing / displaying on my PC.
    Then I uploaded it to YouTube and it did fine there too.
    If the only issue is that it may not play properly on an American TV, then basically it’s a non-issue for me…and by not exchanging an existing NEX-7 for a completely different model I keep the obvious benefit (to me) of having two identical bodies with identical operational characteristics, regardless of which one I happen to be using.

For what it’s worth, this is a quickie test video using the 50i NEX-7 / Canon FD 50mm@8.0, shot handheld through the kitchen window. 9 "backyard deer" showed up earlier than usual before I had a chance to put my night-time buckets over the feeder stumps. Setting aside any quality concerns from low light & hand holding, I don’t see anything “50i video related’ that would make me want to get rid of the camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNviNZPMAEQ

Thanks again for the A6000 comments…won’t be going that way after all.