1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Is my 10-18mm dead?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Plutacratic, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Plutacratic

Plutacratic New to TalkEmount

Dec 31, 2015
    Tim Pluta
    Well, this weekend I screwed up and let my a6000 and 10-18 take a dip in a cold mountain lake. The camera is completely kaput, so I ordered a new (used) one. Just came in today, and to my chagrin, it looks like the 10-18 is a goner too. The camera recognizes it, but I only get an "F--" for the aperture reading and it won't focus, not even manually. Has anyone heard of/experienced this? Is she a goner too? So bummed.

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    That sucks :(
    A technician friend of mine had the same combo brought to him to see if it would be repaired after it also fell into the water (!) and he told me that the lens wasn't repairable...

Sorry to hear that :(

• Like Like x 1
  3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Since it wasn't salt water, it may be worth shipping it to Sony to get a verdict. But I suspect Nick is right. These devices don't play well with water.

4. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    There is likely still a lot of water inside the lens that is messing up the electronics. If it was relatively fresh water and clear, then contaminants are minimal. Do you know anyone with access to a vacuum chamber? Buy him/her a case of beer to have the lens be subjected to 25-28" of vacuum for a couple days. This will remove all the water inside.

• Like Like x 1
  5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Expensive opps. [emoji22]

Sent from my GT-N5110 using TalkEmount app

6. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio