1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Is Memphis, TN safe?Hi all

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by alaios, Jul 12, 2014.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi all,
    I am in Memphis (Tenessee) down town (I guess in Europe this is called city center) and I wanted to ask you how safe you consider the place. For me is a bit weird that like every 5 mins someone comes to ask for money... Also I found that there are places once you pull out your camera locals seem to react a bit "different" of what I am used to it. Perhaps they are a bit conspicuous of who I am and why I shoot.

Regards
    A

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
  3. jcdoss

jcdoss TalkEmount Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    I've driven through a dozen times, but I never would get out of my car. Memphis was often featured in the crime show First 48.

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I am sure like most places, there are totally safe areas and areas that you simply don't go.

5. MizOre

MizOre TalkEmount Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    Nicaragua
    Rules for an urban area where most people walk -- if the women don't let the children out after school (i.e., if you don't see kids on the street or front yards playing), it's seriously not safe.

If women send their kids to the store with money in their hands to buy things, it's safe.

These two rules have worked in NYC, San Francisco, and different cities in Nicaragua, so I suspect they're universally human. The US doesn't seem to take care of its city centers as much as some other countries do (people who have money live in town in Nicaragua -- only the poor and the gringos live full time in the country).

If a US city has tourist areas, they generally get saturation policing and are quite safe other than possibly a higher number of beggars. Examples are Charleston, SC, and Washington, DC, certain parts of Manhattan. Also crime figures, other than murder stats, can be very deceptive. Often nobody reports burglaries and street crime in cities where the police can't really do anything and aren't expected to do anything. NYC had a far higher rate of street muggings than ever were reported in the early 1970s when I lived there. Philly had more that were reported (I didn't know anyone in NYC the seven years I was there who reported a mugging; I didn't know anyone in SF or Philly who failed to report one).

Ask the local police where the good and bad neighborhoods are. I think if you're in an area where people are asking you for money, you're not in the best location. Safer places in the US in general will be out from the city center (the opposite of where I'm living in Nicaragua where the center of town is upscale and the outskirts are poor).

6. demiro

demiro TalkEmount Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    I used to visit Memphis occasionally. Beale Street is generally kept safe for the tourists, and is a fine stretch of a mile or so to eat, drink and listen to music. I used to stay at a Hampton Inn, iirc, right off of Beale, and never had any issues walking around that every small area. I was always told not to stray too far from there at night, and I always heeded that advice.

• Like Like x 1
  7. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi,
    thanks for all the replies. That is pretty much what I also did and it was okayish.. Although I feel that is not safe for photography and by that I mean to have the time to pull your tripod set it up, think, compose, recompose and so on.
    I am leaving this place with two cartridges filled so is not bad
    Alex

8. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Even in a "safe" city, I avoid using a tripod. But if you feel you must, you may be better off doing your thinking, composing, and recomposing before you set it up. That way you minimize the inconvenience to passers by. And I bet that more often than not, you may find that you don't actually need one.

9. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    In America the cities died in the 70s. There was a lot of racial unrest and crime in large cities, the middle class moved to suburbs where homes were big and cheap, little crime, great nature, and the ghettos didn't exist. In the process they killed off what remained of traditional city culture. Some cities are now coming back, some unfortunately aren't and probably never will, you can't revive them without changing the inner city mentality and that's like achieving the peace in the Middle East. Although even in the worst cities there are great and safe areas. Your hotel staff or any policeman should be able to direct you to them.

10. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi everyone thanks for all the nice replies.
    MY last day ended in the civils right museum where I met some very intresting people and I enjoyed it quite a lot.

One last issue though that you need to help me is food!!! In the breakfast's buffet they were serving some nice baked potatoes,
    that were soft on the inside , I was able to see onion and pepper in the dish too. The spices combo that was used made a very very good combo. On the positive is that these potatoes were not fried but baked with perhaps some oil (or butter) on the out side part of the potato.

I asked what was the name to look for a recipe and they told me that these are just "baked potatoes". ... No these were different kind... All cultures have something similar but I found what I was served in memphis is by far the more test/health combination you can have.

Does anyone know what might be the recipe name for that combo, as I described it?

Regards
    Alex

11. snkenai

snkenai TalkEmount Regular

Jan 22, 2012
    Campbellsville, Ky
    Stephen Noel
    Baked potato.

After baked, "crush with fist, split open and add salt, butter, pepper, sour cream, cheese, onion, ...or what you like.

There are several ways. But most require the skin be left on. Just wash and "scrub", to get clean
    Microwave: Place in MW, under upside down bowl, to capture the steam, for 6 to 7 min.
    Oven: 250F for 1-2 hours, or until skin becomes "papery". You can rub the skin with butter or olive oil first, if you like
    Crock pot: (slow cooker) 2-3 hours.
    Hot ashes, by the camp fire.

We have baked potato quite often at our house.

12. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi thanks for the try but this is not have I tried
    the onions the peppers were there during the baking time in a way that all the potato got taste and flavor... this is the tricky part I do not understand
    A

13. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Go on allrecepies.com and see if they have a similar recepie for baked potatoes.. all of their recepies are user submitted and rated so you are getting authentic and tried results.