Is Lightroom the best Image processing software for amateur photographers ??

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Abdelrhman Zaghloul, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Abdelrhman Zaghloul

Abdelrhman Zaghloul TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 20, 2011
    so far lightroom is the best Image processing software I have ever used, it simple,fast and packed with features .
  2. Travisennis

Travisennis TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Jasper, Indiana
    Lightroom is the only image processing software that I've used extensively, but I like it well enough that I've found no reason to look for an alternative.
  3. macjim

macjim TalkEmount Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    I like it as it's easier than Aperture. I also have Pixelmator and use it to do editing from Lightroom 3. Just select the photo you want to edit, then select the edit in and external software and you can make adjustments which are less easy in Lightroom 3, and go back into Lightroom 3 to finish off. But ou can try it for free to see if you work with it, the same can be done with Aperture too and that will allow you to see which is best. Alternatively, get Pixelmator and use that, it cheep but powerful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    I would debate that the amateur not intending to become a professional is better off with Photoshop Elements :)
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I don't think there's a best for everyone, but Lightroom has been my favorite since version 3.
  6. Nasilemak

Nasilemak New to TalkEmount

Aug 21, 2011
    I agree there probably isn't a best for everyone. As a mac user, I recommend Aperture. It is relatively cheap and works well.
  7. Abdelrhman Zaghloul

Aug 20, 2011
    I shoot RAW and Lightroom handle RAW files in a great way allowing you to navigate easily between them.
  8. Abdelrhman Zaghloul

Aug 20, 2011
    thanks to everyone replayed to this thread
  9. Armanius

Armanius TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    IMO, I find LR easier to use than even PS Elements. PS Elements offers more tools, but I have no idea how to use a lot of them! :(
  10. m_i_t_u_l_i_c_a

m_i_t_u_l_i_c_a New to TalkEmount

Aug 21, 2011
    I personally like LightZone since it allows a trusted old method (the zone system) to be applied to digital photographs. It also offers some nice effects that are good for posting images on the web (eg HDR, WOW!).

The company also just released Aurora, which is great for simple relighting of photos (Mac only) at half the cost of LightZone.
  11. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    I like Aperture more - except the speed. It really could be a bit faster. Anyways, it's a relatively cheap software (60€) and the UI works great for me.
  12. jebuskrust

jebuskrust TalkEmount Regular

Sep 16, 2011
    Limassol, Cyprus
    I heard that many are also using GIMP cause it's free :)
  13. ryandigweed

ryandigweed TalkEmount Regular

Sep 2, 2011
    I think it is. If it's in your budget, go for it ! :) I love it :) it's so easy :)
  14. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    That's sort of like asking, "Is the Ferrari 458 Italia the best sports car for driving enthusiasts?"

There is more than one well-equipped image processing application on the market and the "best" one depends on a number of factors.

Some people consider Adobe Photoshop Elements to be "the best" but others say Lightroom, CS5, Corel PaintShop Photo Pro, Capture NX2, Bibble 5, etc.

I've used all the ones I just mentioned as well as some others I don't care to mention. For me, CS5 is the best, but I recognize that other applications have strong points as well. For example, I personally find the lens correction tools in Bibble 5 are better than the various Adobe offerings and it's easier to do some creative edits in Corel PaintShop Photo Pro than it is in PS Elements or CS5.
  15. Ray Vardy

Ray Vardy TalkEmount Regular

Lightroom seems to be on a roll ATM and with so many users there a loads of free plugins and tips & advice etc. With so many things to spend your photography pennies on free software may be useful but often lacks the refinements of paid. Photivo is an example of this, have a look if your in need!
  16. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    Well, I'm not a professional but let me tell them I've been using since LR 3 and actually it is very easy to use, in addition some preset to the use and make a radical change for each type of photography, you can download on the web or customize according to your tastes.

This program is easy to use and also you can use Raw and personally helped me a lot, also I have the PS CS5 but I prefer LR.
  17. lapdog99

lapdog99 TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Although I have been using Aperture, the extremely positive comments about Lightroom 4 are making me thing seriously about switiching. Even Scott Bourne an Aperture guru is concerned that Apple is not doing enough to keep Aperture competitive. One issue, is that there is no
    easy way to transfer libraries between these apps. Recent surveys are showing Lightroom favored about 3:1 over Aperture.
  18. pictor

pictor New to TalkEmount

Sep 8, 2011
    Why? It's not even the same kind of program.
  19. JimR

JimR TalkEmount Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Houston, TX
    90%+ of my photos are processed with Lightroom with a few going out to a NIK plugin. Very few every get to Photoshop.
  20. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Thats the same question I asked myself...

I use ACDSee Pro 6 and/or as RawTherapee for my raw files.
    And I updated my PC bundled Corel Paintshop Pro to version X5, but afterwards I thought it would have been a better decision to go for LR or PSE, but they are both more expensive...
    One of the main things annoying me is that there are no books or internet videos/workshops covering Corel PSP, so I started to try Gimp as well...