1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is it worth upgrading to the A6000 from the NEX-6 for adapted lenses?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by JonathanF2, Nov 9, 2015.

1. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    I'm debating if it's worth upgrading to the A6000 from the NEX-6 for adapted lens use? For those who mainly shoot with adapted lenses, is it worth the swap? I don't shoot any native E mount glass, so AF performance isn't an issue. Thanks for any opinions!

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    For adapted lenses, not as big of an upgrade.

3. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Okay thanks! I'll keep the NEX-6 then!

4. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Since I don't have NEX-6 experience, not really qualified to answer. But as an a6000 owner, majority of the advances were in the AF performance and AF features. Yes, you get an upgrade to 24.3 Mp, a BIONZ-X and new A7 style menu....but unless these are going to improve your results, then I don't think you're going to see much bang shooting manual-focus. IIRC, the NEX-6 has a better EVF than the a6000. (unless that is the NEX-7)

I recall you shoot with two bodies. That means replacing with two a6000s.
    I would upgrade to a A7ii given you're a manual-focus shooter.
    The a6000 is great, but it has some areas that need improving. (the EVF being one.)
    And if there is a replacement in the horizon, may be worth waiting to see.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    I think I'll take a wait and see approach before jumping into the A7 series. Since most my FF glass (auto and manual) is Nikon, I'd love to get an AF Nikon to FE adapter like they do for Canon. It'd make the investment a bit easier to justify!

6. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    i've used the a6000 and I have a NEX 6 now. The a6000 has a better UI, a higher resolution sensor and you can program the fn button next to the shutter switch for focus assist. The NEX 6 has a better EVF and higher ISO. if you have a NEX 6 now I wouldn't spend the money.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I did notice the improvement in dynamic range and detail coming up from the Nex 5R.

There are two things to consider really. Do you want a bargain? If so it's a pretty good time to get an A6000 and be happy for a while.

Would you prefer to pay more and get the best? If so now is a good time to wait. I'll be suprised if Sony doesn't announce the A6000 successor before the end of the year, and probably with in body stabilistaiton like the A7 series.