Is it worth switching from 18-105G to 16-70 Zeiss?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by WestOkid, Dec 8, 2014.

1. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I am seriously considering selling my 18-105G and getting a 16-70Z. This is not about IQ, but if the Zeiss were clearly better it would be an easier decision. I am quite happy with the IQ from the 18-105G. I think it is a wonderful standard lens. So why do I want to switch?

1. The size is starting annoy me. It is not big by DSLR standards, but it does turn my a6000 into the size of a DSLR with a kit lens attached. I tried to convince myself I was fine with it, but I am not. I find myself leaving it home in favor of the kit lens more and more. This way I can throw my Rokinon (UWA) and another prime (fast) in my Domke bag.
    2. The weight - I have slight curve in the spine (scoliosis). Because of this, the muscles in my back can become inflamed during long hikes. The more weight I carry, the quicker it sets in. Particularly one-sided weight like a camera slung over the shoulder.
    3. The focal range - Unlike when I started and I shot more nature, I am now leaning to landscape. This means I care more about the extra 2 millimeters on the wide end.
    4. Lack of close focus - One of the weaknesses of the 18-105 is its magnification (.11x) vs (.23x) for the 16-70 Zeiss. Neither is a macro, but the Zeiss is very versatile for the type of stuff I would shoot. Anyone who has tried to shoot a dragonfly or bee on a flower with this lens knows how frustrating it is. You end up with a picture that you have to crop much more than you would expect. In the end, it is soft and discouraging. As a result, I only use my SX50 for such endeavors. I have never had a lens with so little magnification. Even the kit is .21x.

So my question is, are those things enough to justify the amount of money I will loose making the switch? Would I regret it? Please help because I don't have money to burn, but I want to be comfortable with my kit.

2. Rollin

Rollin TalkEmount Regular

Jul 2, 2014
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    I have the 16-70 and have played with the 18-105 including shooting them side by side. The points you listed would make it easy if not for $$$. I found sometimes wanting for a bit more telephoto with the 16-70, but otherwise love it. You are correct it just feels like a great small extension of my a6000. I found the 18-105 sharper at 70, about as good at 50, but the 16-70 is better on the wide end. Hope that helps.

• Like Like x 3
  3. OldNoob

OldNoob TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    This was the information i was looking for.

4. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I replied to your other thread.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.