1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is it true that A7ii produces lossy RAW files?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by mesmerized, Jul 16, 2016.

1. mesmerized

mesmerized New to TalkEmount

Mar 26, 2014
    Hello there,

I'm thinking of selling my current camera and getting an A7ii... A quick question: Is it true that A7ii produces lossy RAW files?

Thanks

2. sesser

sesser TalkEmount Regular

May 21, 2016
    randy
    If you're talking about compressed raw files, yes; the A7II produces compressed raw files. BUT, you can turn it off and get 14bit uncompress raw files.

3. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
    Not that you will see any diffence apart from the file size, it's the same dimensions and you might recover some more from shadows, but at a storage cost

4. sesser

sesser TalkEmount Regular

May 21, 2016
    randy
    Storage is cheap. And last I read, the compressed raw (12bit I think) contained artifacts under certain circumstances. There's really no reason to use compressed raw.

5. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    Sure there is. Storage on computers is cheap but data on your camera comes at a price of speed and power. Especially since Sony has opted to keep the same SD card interface it seems since the NEX-5N. Uncompressed RAW files are twice the size and except for a very, very few circumstances you won't see any difference. That means half the read and write speed for the same number of files. Which means more power used to complete the same operation. That's a real cost and on some cameras (looking at you A7R2) that isn't cheap!

I do think they could have used a better lossLESS compression scheme. Their current lossy scheme strikes me as a brilliant solution for cinema cameras (where those rare artifacts would be hidden by motion blur and the data rate is a real challenge) but it isn't totally pointless on stills cameras and on the 2nd gen you can turn it off!

Sent from my iPad using TalkEmount mobile app

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. mesmerized

mesmerized New to TalkEmount

Mar 26, 2014
    Hmm... Thanks for the answers. Does it mean then that it is possible to switch off the compression and get lossless RAW files of the same color depth as in, say, Fuji or Olympus?

7. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    Yes, you can switch the compression on or off. It is your choice.

8. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
    Take two identical images any light source and dynamic range you like, if you see any difference in a print well then you have proved it worth turn off the compression, but I bet you won't.