1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is it fungus???

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by NickCyprus, Feb 14, 2013.

1. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Reveived my MD 135 today and upon closer inspection (looked through the lens with light) I see small white dots internally. I can see it on the glass inside and on the internal part of the barrel
    Its not the "spider web" pattern so I'm not sure if its fungus or just dust :?

I've looked at pics with fungus affected lenses and some say what I describe is fungus and some say no, so I'm confused

Help...

2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Maybe we can say more if you try to make a picture of the white dots. Wouldn't be the first time that a plain MD lens (no Rokkor) has metallic dust particles between the lens elements. I have several lenses with those, including my beloved MD 28/2, most MD 50/1.7 lenses show them as well for instance.

3. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I'll try and take a picture...

4. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Another question (until I manage to take some pics of said issue):

IF it is fungus, can it contaminate my other lenses if I store it in the same bag? Or contaminate the camera sensor if I use it?

5. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Here a pic I found online while searching for pics with dust inside a lens:

125474d1335302533-dust-air-bubbles-inside-lens-picture-img_72451.

Mine looks similar to those spots but mine are not extended to the center of the lens, just to its edges...

Attached Files:

6. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Well, I don't understand how people manage to photograph the inside of a lens to show these details but I certenly can't :(
    Tried a lot of shots, even with the Macro setting, LED flashlight etc and still can show the details....

(Not reffering to that fingerprint/scratch)

DSC05751.
    DSC05753.

Help...:(

7. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I guess you're worried about the white spots in the first picture. They look like dust to me. Don't leave the fingerprint on it for the next year or so, it might damage the coating over time.

8. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Well, its those white spots BUT looking inside the lens through light there are more and more dense. They are visible to the rear glass AND the inside barrel...

9. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Do you have a macro lens to use? Also, get some light down the barrel.

10. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Don't have a true macro lens. Best I could use (and did) was the macro setting on my MD 35-70...
    I also did use a LED flashlight and/or lamp into the barrel for these shots but still can't show the detail