1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Is it all in my head ?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Amamba, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    It appears that if I turn off the AF assist light feature, my Nex F3 is actually able to acquire focus faster and more reliably in low light. With AF assist, I get the huge green dotted rectangle most of the time, while with this feature off I can actually get focus confirm in the small target (again, this only applies to low light scenarios). Does it make any sense ?

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yep, that's how it works (at least in NEX-cameras). Turning off the AF assist light was the first thing I did when a friend of mine recently bought a NEX. Why? Well, I don't know. Probably something in their software is not really sophisticated.

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Nope, it's not in your head. It's one of the "strange and wonderful" things you discover upon first getting a NEX camera. To paraphrase Poki- we don't know why, it just is. ;)

4. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I'm not crazy, good :p

This reminds me of my first foray into more serious photography with Canon XTi 6 years ago... Great camera with outstanding results even by my today's standards but also with some annoying quirks. Took Canon another 3 years to produce the first Rebel body that just worked (T2i).

5. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    I switched mine off so that nobody knows I'm taking pictures!

6. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    +1 ;)

7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    agree

Me 2.

Always found that annoying.

8. Peter Chin

Peter Chin TalkEmount Regular

Jan 20, 2013
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Peter Chin is my real name.
    Yes it works because you don't waste time arguing with people yelling at you to turn that dam light off in the adult movie theatre :biggrin:

9. Hawon

Hawon TalkEmount Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Hawon
    same for NEX-5R

10. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    I turned mine off from the start, so I never noticed. Good to know that I'm not missing out on anything.

11. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 TalkEmount Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    Is this true for the NEX-6 as well?