Is it a bad thing the Sony lens is made in China?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Yadex, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Yadex

Yadex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    New Jersey
    I just pick up a Sel 50mm 1.8 and a Sal 50mm 1.8 they both say made in China and all my other lenses Sel zeiss 16-70mm, Sel 16-50mm kit lens, Sel 55-210mm gray they all say made in Thailand, my Minolta Sal 35-80mm say Malaysia and the Minolta 59mm MD rokkor-x 1.7 say Japan

Is the China good????

2. greywater

greywater TalkEmount Regular

Sep 28, 2014
    Personally, I avoid buying Chinese products if I can.

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Most multinational corporation's factories in China are newer and built to more exacting tolerances than those in Japan or older factories in Thailand, Malaysia, and others. There is of course a lot of prejudice against Chinese products, but have you ever seen any evidence at all that recently-built camera products manufactured in China have any higher failure rate or are of shoddier construction than those manufactured elsewhere? I sure haven't. If there were a problem, would Apple be building their devices in China?

In my childhood, it was anti-Japanese prejudice. Now it's anti-Chinese. Some day it'll be someone else. So it goes... :rolleyes-20:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. Bonaprof

Bonaprof New to TalkEmount

Jan 1, 2015
    I think it is not where any item is made so much as the parent company ensures that the item is made with up to their standards. At one time I believed that anything made in Germany is excellent. I have come to learn that is not so. There are good Chinese made items and junk. I believe that is true of any country. It is up to sony, not China, to ensure that the item is made correctly and up to company standards.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I would agree with my fellow David, (WoodWorks).

Large corporations are worldwide and operate very advanced factories in places that several years ago were substandard.

If it was the 1980's then yes, avoid "Made in China" like the plauge. However today, a lot of great product comes from China.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Yadex

Yadex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    New Jersey
    Thank you guy i was just having a episode LOL

7. greywater

greywater TalkEmount Regular

Sep 28, 2014
    It's not prejudice. It's about exploitation of workers and the environment.

8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

What they are getting paid may seem exceptionaly low for us in developed countries, but compared to what they would make elsewhere it is often quite a step up.

9. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Dave this is not a political site but there are serious issues in Chinese factories that go way beyond wages. This is known fact. Here is a fairly recent article about an Apple factory.

http://m.bbc.com/news/business-30532463

10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Ya, I don't want to drag this out, but I've seen other studies/documentaries that it can be a good thing. It all depends on the company, some care, some don't.

Our world is filled with products and parts of products made in under developed countries.

• Like Like x 1
  11. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    It's called corporate ethics, some have it, some don't.

As for the original question, yes, made in Chine lenses are good.

• Like Like x 1
  12. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    Plus, that is what make them cheap, something I think the OP appreciates... for someone having trouble with made in China, you can go and buy Leica lenses made in Germany, no exploitation there.

• Like Like x 1
  13. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    If a lens costs 11 000 euro I call it exploitation of customers ... . Good reason to purchase legacy lenses, even environment thanks you. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  14. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I certainly did not intend to impugn anyone's character with my answer. So I apologize, greywater.

But I suspect (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that Yadex's inquiry had to do more with the build quality of the lenses than the ethics of purchasing them. In any case, the thread did make me curious, so I Googled "worker's rights by country," which led me to the International Trade Union Confederation's Global Rights Index.

They have a nice web site, with a comprehensive report on worker's rights, and a scale that goes from 1 (good) to 5+ (really, really bad). China rates a 5, along with Malaysia, South Korea, India, the Philippines, and a few others. So clearly, based on the criteria of the report, lenses built in Malaysia would not be a more ethical choice. The other country in question, Thailand, rates a 4. So it's not a substantially better option. But hey, the United States also rates a 4, so at least the Thai workers are in good company. But I guess this means that I'll have to reconsider all of the US made products I normally buy. :rolleyes-20:

Those Leica lenses? Well, Germany rates a 1. So I think you're good to go there. :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I live in China. Articles like this are extremely misleading as the only comparison we can make is in how we live and work in our own countries. The falling asleep bit is hilarious as everybody sleeps at work. 18 days in a row? Yes and often more. A one day holiday will be stretched to a week so that workers and students can visit home. The six 'extra' days are made up on weekends either before or after the holiday. That's national policy for all work places. In November and December last year, I worked 32 days straight, then had more than 2 months off at Spring Festival a 9 day holiday period. Totally worth it.

Articles that talk about suicides at factories, don't compare them to national rates or even strange cultural practices. There are a ridiculous amount of people throwing themselves off of buildings because their girlfriend broke up with them here.

Unpaid meetings? Yep, every job in China. Nobody asks if you want to work overtime? No, they don't ask, but you can refuse. Unions are illegal in China though, so if you are constantly refusing extra work, once your contract is up, you will probably be let go. Like a law office in the States.

Maybe it's the adjectives used. Exhausted workers. Well if you are sleeping at work, you must be exhausted right?. Cramped accommodations. Cramped compared to what? I'm from Canada, everything here is cramped.

My brother-in-law works in a factory. He would literally kill to work at Foxconn.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. pjtan25

pjtan25 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 26, 2011
    And we what do you think is happening in Thailand and Malaysia that makes it any different?

17. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    It all depends on what kind of quality control the given company exercises at a given plant.

I would see if the lens performs well i.e. is well calibrated, that's what counts.