1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is bangkok a cheap place to get a A7 ?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by izTheViz, Dec 30, 2013.

1. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Guys,

Does anybody know good some places to look for an A7 in Bangkok ?
    I'll be there for business in 3 weeks and I guess that Sony cameras can be found for a cheaper price compared to EU and even US.
    The only price I could find mentioned 49900 baths e.g 1170€ for an A7 body which seems pretty interesting already.
    I just wonder if there is some B&H like shops in Bangkok with potentially good deals ?

2. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I would advise you to get it from an official dealer ... usually around Platinum Mall / Siam Square area. Even the official retail price will be cheaper than European prices and you greatly reduce the risk of getting a returned or open box set (they can look just like 'new' sets, even unsealing the labels for you... then realise you are missing a key accessory or something). Just quote that you got an offer for a 'realistic' price and see what they say, after first seeing how many outlets there are that sell the camera. Prices aren't controlled like the US/EU but assuming you aren't Thai, you'll be assumed to be a wealthy tourist waiting to be fleeced. If you know your prices well they can still fleece you on accessories which you'll usually not have had time to research on. One good thing to ask for - get them to put a screen protector on your camera straight away. They will usually be able to do it and at a much better standard than you'd be capable of (or have the patience to achieve).

3. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Great advice thanks. I'll try to negotiate something under 49900 baths which is already good.

4. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    I was just in Bangkok. In general you will not find prices outside the US any cheaper than prices inside the US. The US is the cheapest place in the world to buy electronics. Thailand is a little more expensive then China which is more expensive than the US.

B&H like super stores in Bangkok? No. There will be a bunch of little to small stores. They will mostly be in the Siam Square area. Specifically the Sony store in Siam Paragon, the camera stores on the 5th floor of MBK and the camera stores sprinkled all over Pantip plaza.

I've have never found anything from cameras to little packets of desicant that were cheaper than prices in the US. In fact, for things like old film lenses and bodies, the price is much higher. What I couldn't get $5 for in the US, they get $100 for in Thailand. I've often fantasized about bringing over a big box of old film gear and selling it.

5. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Actually you find the body for 1220€ at B&H (converted from usd), around 1420€ in France and for 1170€ at Sony Bangkok (the only price I could find). I'll get there and try it first.