Is APS due for an update?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by lew, May 15, 2017.

1. lew

lew TalkEmount Rookie

Jul 7, 2014
    What are your thoughts about whether or not new models of the APS cameras will be forthcoming with the new sensors?

2. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    It is a different sensor size, so you'd be looking at the creation of a new sensor incorporating the newer technology. Considering the A6500 is what - six months old? Even with Sony's history, I should think it will be at least a while off. The 6500 is pretty respectable as it is right now, in my opinion.

3. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    The A6500 is still pretty close to state of the art for APS-C. I think at least another year before a refresh. Actually, I'd be kind of interested in an "a5500" - a really compact interchangeable lens cam with the improvements made in the a6500.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    yea the a6500 is worthy upgrade from my very first (real) camera the NEX-5R.

Am I blown away with the advancements? Mostly.

Am I ready for a body redesign? hell yes. and a better flip out screen FFS. and touch (that matters). and card slots / battery / ports etc. etc.

will I be able to afford it when it shows up next summer? HELL NO!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Hawon

Hawon TalkEmount Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Hawon
    Sensor on a6500 is great. I think Sony needs to work on other areas before attempt to upgrade the sensor

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

Ya, we had the A6300 and A6500, both fairly close to each other.

I would be surprised to see anything new for a awhile