1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

is A6000 $300 better than NEX 6?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by jeffryscott, Jul 8, 2014.

1. jeffryscott

jeffryscott TalkEmount Regular

Jul 7, 2014
    I've pretty much decided on getting a Sony because of the solid reviews the A6000 is getting as far as AF speed, etc ... goes. The NEX 6 though can be found (with 16-50) for $499 new vs. $799. So, for $300 ($400 if I go used), is it THAT much better? Is the C-AF that much better? For example, the images of the bicyclist coming at you, how would the NEX 6 compare to the A6000?

Thanks, Jeff

2. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    It all depends on what you want from your camera. I thought about it a lot but in the end, getting a Lens Turbo 2 gave me what I wanted the most, an extra F stop and a close to FF range for my lenses as well.
    So if you let us know what your priorities are, we can help more but a $300 difference is pretty big to me. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Handfull of really good legacy glass could be had for those 300 bones...fyi

Scribed henceforth from thy G pad.

• Like Like x 2
  4. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    I find that there a several improvements over the NEX-6, but not sure if they relate to your needs.

Better menu same as A7 vs NEX/CyberShot
    Higher resolution 24.3MP vs 16MP
    Lower noise @ high ISO 1,347 ISO vs 1,018 ISO
    More focus points 179 vs 99
    Longer battery life 420 shots vs 360 shots
    Better video capability

These are only a few things that comes to mind.
    If any of these are important to you, then the A6000 is your camera.

If fast AF is something you need, then go with the A6000.
    If majority of your shots will be landscape or stills, then the NEX-6 will be just as good.

Good luck on your decision...either way, you win! :D

5. jeffryscott

Jul 7, 2014
    The A6000 is surely better, but $300 to $400 is a lot. I'm real curious about real life use, not spec sheet.

Is the AF speed a huge improvement? Obviously more points is better, but how well does the new camera do in low light locking focus vs. the old camera? How good/bad is the NEX with C-AF? From reviews and such, I don't have a good sense of how lacking the performance of the NEX 6 is or was in these areas, but I know from acquaintances that the A6000 is more than adequate.

As for style of shooting, I'm a former photojournalist (25+ years) so do a bit of everything ... not shooting much professionally now, but want fairly good equipment for when I do. My main gear is a pair of Nikon D7000's with 17-55 and 80-200 2.8 AF-S lenses. Looking at the Sony with a trio of primes - Sony 20, 35 and 50 or possibly Sigma 19, 30 and 60.

6. dragion

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    I understand your dilemma.
    I went from a NEX-5T to NEX-6 and A6000...all within a couple of months.

I was confused by the all the choices and cost was a main concern.
    As far as photography goes, I'm not usually the one to go for the most up to date equipment.
    I too shoot with Nikon D7000 and I purchased mine refurbished back in December after the D7100 was already released...upgraded from D3100.
    I'm just a hobbyist, so no pro gear for me.
    My main lens is the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8.
    I do have several primes too and the AF-S 70-300mm.

I make my decisions based on quality, function and need...ok a bit of "want" too.
    I found that the A6000 was worth the extra $$$ due to the list of improvements.

If you planning to go with the 3 prime lenses, bypass the kit lens and go for just the A6000 body.
    I would get the body & the SEL35F18...should be quite happy with that combo for starters.

7. jeffryscott

Jul 7, 2014
    so just watched Gary Fong's video on the A6000, that and a pro friend of mine who is leaving Canon after 30 years for the A6000 and A7 make me think I may just go that route. Looks to be a lot of camera for not too much money.

• Like Like x 2
  8. dragion

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William

:thiagree:
    My thoughts exactly Jeff. :)

I feel that the A6000 is a "real" bang for the buck camera...it has so much to offer.

9. tbyork2014

tbyork2014 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    It is not just about the advantage in terms of C-AF. There are other benefits of this camera:
    1) Higher megapixel to allow for flexibility of cropping.
    2) Newer sensor with better High ISO, as well as latest Bionz X processor.
    3) Ability to use wired remote in case you intend to do bulb photography e.g. astrophotography.
    4) Memory recall mode to allow for regularly used settings to be saved and recalled for later use (a setting which allows for more than one custom white balance to be saved for later use).
    5) Better menus than old NEX ones.
    Boon

• Like Like x 2
  10. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Nice list. I'd say the resolution, the faster AF and the newer menus are worth the price, but heck, I still would prefer the NEX-7 over both of those, so don't ask me. ;)

I just want to add a little here - higher resolution is not just for cropping images. It gives you much more room to edit in terms of tiny detail, it gives you potentially better local contrast (if a lens can handle it) and it will give you sharper prints.

11. Mix

Mix TalkEmount Regular

Jun 3, 2014
    Not sure if Nex 6 has the "Pre- AF on/ off" option. It's great that the A6000 has the ability to turn the Pre AF off because my Touit 32mm especially on Nex 5T autofocuses like constantly. Hehe :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. jeffryscott

Jul 7, 2014
    Just ordered an A6000 body from KEH. Now for lenses ...

• Like Like x 1
  13. dragion

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    Choose wisely ;)

14. ddavi78

ddavi78 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 28, 2013
    USA
    David
    You will not be disappointed. Great camera with a ton of features at a great price point!

Sent from my iPad using TalkEmount

15. jeffryscott

Jul 7, 2014
    Trying to ...

I plan to start with the Sigma trio - great bang for the buck. Sold a Nikon D7000 and Nikon V1 kit to fund it. I figure the A6000 is the equal in performance (maybe better) than the D7000, and it is the equal in size to the V1 - so it seems like a win win to me. For now I am keeping a D7000 and my 80-200 2.8.

Ideally, my goal is to get the Zeiss 24 1.8 (would also love the Zeiss Touit trio eventually).

• Like Like x 1
  16. jeffryscott

Jul 7, 2014
    KEH screwed the pooch with this order. The camera I paid for, and had deducted from my paypal balance, is still for sale (same stock number.) I paid for priority overnight and when it didn't come, I called. They had no record of my order, even though it shows up in my account, and I got a confirmation email. When they finally did find the invoice number, it was for a different person and a different item. They, as well as I, are frustrated and perplexed. I know it will be taken care of, but this is a very strange thing.

I am mostly commenting on this in case any body orders from KEH. I don't know if it has to do with the new website or not, nor did the helpful person I talked with, but double check your items.

17. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Wow that is so similar to my issue with their new website when buying the Vivitar 120-600mm! They could not see it even though I have been charged already and it was still showing available for purchase. Luckily nobody else was waiting for my lens but yeah, they need to fix that for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  18. jeffryscott

Jul 7, 2014
    That is disturbing that it happened to you as well. Thanks and sorry that happened.

• Like Like x 1
  19. stephen431

stephen431 TalkEmount Regular

May 2, 2014
    I've been pretty happy with Henry's camera in Canada. They're Sony authorized & with the exchange rate, it's usually about 6-8% off the standard retail price here in the US. Even shipping international, I usually get packages in about 3 days.

20. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    I've had both cameras for about a month now. Yes, the A6000 is worth the difference in AF speed alone, but the NEX-6 is a better feeling camera, and I still tend to reach for it. Just seems to be made better. I leave the 50mm 1.8 on the A6000 for grab portraits or more singular subjects. I leave the 16-50 on the NEX-6 for more general snaps. If I need the 55-210, it goes on the A6000 since I need to take a lens off of something to use it, so I go for AF speed/image quality. It's a weird work flow, but it is working. Same with my flashes, one outside end of my Domke has the HVL-F20M for snaps, the other end has the HVL-F43M for more powerful needs. Getting used to the arrangement now, and it is working well.

Might actually be considering selling the OM-D E-M1 soon...