Is a $350 really worth it?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by scientist88, Sep 4, 2011.

1. scientist88

scientist88 New to TalkEmount

Sep 4, 2011
    $350 for a viewfinder?!?! C'mon, is it really worth that much? I don't yet have a Sony NEX camera, though i'm pretty sure I'm gonna get one soon, but is a viewfinder really worth 350 dollars? My real question is, does anybody have a NEX, and have they ever yet wished that they had a viewfinder? Thanks
  2. teshi

teshi TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 1, 2011
    In short, I would! I really liked the EVF, I mean a lot. Since ive put money aside for the NEX-7, I wont need to worry about it but if there was no 7 then my initial purchase would be NEX-5n and EVF. I got used to it quite quickly and ideal for what I like to shoot.
  3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    So with the viewfinder, is the price equal to a NEX-7?
  4. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    Not in US.

5n body $600+viewfinder $350= $950 vs nex 7 body $1200.

5. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    The biggest reason I placed a pre-order for the NEX-7 instead of the 5n is that I want a viewfinder and the cost of the 5n with viewfinder is just too close to the NEX-7. Yes, the 5n with viewfinder is slightly cheaper, but the NEX-7 looks like a much better camera even if it used the same 16mp sensor. I know I would kick myself later if I bought the 5n rather than spend that little extra for the 7.
  6. macjim

macjim TalkEmount Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    I've said the same thing about digital cameras since I first won my first digital, a kodak, and I still say that now. Why should they be almost two to three times more than a film camera equivalent as they do not have the film roll mechanism etc, just electronics. So I sympathise and agree with your comment regarding the price of the viewfinder. I want to get it too but I'll need to wait till either the price comes down or till I can afford it.

Cheers, Macjim.