1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Irnham church

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Bolampau, May 24, 2012.

1. Bolampau

Bolampau TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 22, 2012
    Lincolnshire, England
    Paul
    Hi Folks,
    just thought I'd share this photo of a lovely old church I took yesterday. I used the NEX7 with the Voigtlander 12mm lens + Metabones adaptor. I'm really impressed with this combo and have found it great for architecture.

Details: ISO 100, F8 @ 1/160th

Church (1 of 1).

Hope you like it! Comments and criticisms welcome.
    Cheers,
    Paul

2. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    I just love the way this lens creates a star glare effect when stopped down. Was this the same church you took a colour photo of when it stopped raining?

Be good to see closer detail of the window arches and stuff... and perhaps some of the interior...

3. Bolampau

Apr 22, 2012
    Lincolnshire, England
    Paul
    Thanks Dioptrick,
    no this is a another church....I'll post some more photos showing the interior details in the morning.
    Cheers,
    Paul

4. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Sure, tease me with another lens :)

I so badly wanted to pick up one of these ini the silver LTM mount to match my Canon set. Haven't been able to pull the trigger. If Sony doesn't come out with an awesome E-mount lens soon, this may be next on my list. How bad is the CA on the NEX-7? And I wonder if the 5n is better for it.

5. Bolampau

Apr 22, 2012
    Lincolnshire, England
    Paul
    the Voigtlander 12mm lens is brilliant! If you're shooting B&W then you only need to worry about the vignetting and can ignore the colour cast at the edges of the frame. But with colour photos then you will need to convert the shot to a DNG file and repair it in Cornerfix

cornerfix

I've not used the 5n so I can't compare but I've read that it only suffers with the vignetting though, so is probably the best combination.
    Cheers,
    Paul

6. Bolampau

Apr 22, 2012
    Lincolnshire, England
    Paul
    Hi Dioptrick,
    here's four additional shots taken inside the church. The first was taken with the CZ 24mm and the other three were taken with the Voigtlander 12mm.
    N.B. for illustration purposes I have not used Cornerfix on the three 12mm lens shots, so you can see how the lens handles the edges of the frame.

Irnham (1 of 4). Irnham (2 of 4). Irnham (3 of 4). Irnham (4 of 4).

Cheers,
    Paul

7. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Really neat... stain-glass windows, slab flooring, pipe organ!

8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    The interior shots are very nice. Wish we had more old buildings like that here.

9. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    It certainly is... the absence of barrel distortion in a wide angle this extreme is amazing, to a point where I had to remind myself that these are wide-angle perspectives. That's priceless for interior architecture. Due to the predominant blue and red tints in the stain-glass windows in this set, the purple fringing on the 12mm trio seemingly makes sense on this occasion.

10. Bolampau

Apr 22, 2012
    Lincolnshire, England
    Paul
    It's a real shame that this lens is hit by too many critics because of its vignetting and colour cast. If only Cornerfix could be made as a pre-set in Lightroom or Sony make clever trickery in NEX7 firmware then I think this lens would suddenly become a best seller!

I love photographing old buildings and, as I see it, there is no better lens for this type of photography. Yes, I have to use Cornerfix often but this is a small price to pay.

Finally, the build quality of the lens is as good as Leica M lenses - and Voigtlander is amazing value for money in comparison. Mind you, Leica prices seem to have gone sky high with the advent of mirrorless cameras!
    Cheers,
    Paul

11. Luiz Curcino

Luiz Curcino TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    Uberlandia-MG Brasil
    Hi, Paul.
    Very nice shot! The Voigtlander 12mm is amazing. It is worth CornerFix use when needed.