IQ differences between Nex 6 and Nex F3 ?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Amamba, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I know about the additional goodies that come with Nex-6.

I was surprised to read however that it has better dynamic range. Of course this was on snapsort, which seems to be a rather superficial site. But they are getting their numbers from somewhere...

Don't these two cameras share the same exact sensor ?

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    No, the NEX-6 has a newer version with 99 PDAF pixels added. The image quality, however, is exactly the same. If there is a difference in a test, it's 'cos of measurement tolerances.

3. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Thanks.

I think right now - if I can use it without a real viewfinder in summer, which only time would tell - this is the best Nex for me then. Looks like the only real step up in quality is the Nex 7 and it's not an option I want to even consider at the moment.

4. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    The 7 wins for pure resolution, built quality and controls, but the image quality difference isn't big if you don't print huge.

And don't forget the 5 series. Both, the 5N and the 5R feature a better built magnesium alloy body as well as a touchscreen, a infrared remote port and - probably most important - 24 / 60p AVCHD 2.0 video up to 28 Mbps, which is much better than what the 3 has to offer. And the 5R even gets you the new PDAF and WiFi things (if that's even something somebody wants).

5. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 TalkEmount Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    From what I've seen, I like the IQ of the NEX-6 much, much better than that of the NEX-7. Look at 100% crops at ISO 100/200 and the NEX-7 exhibits far more noise than the NEX-6 does. This is a big, big disappointment for me. At higher ISOs, I believe the NEX-6 again slightly edges out the NEX-7. 24MP is a LOT to cram onto an APS-C sensor...I would go as far as saying it's too much. I'd be happy in a world where APS-C sensors had 12-ish MP and FF had around 18-20. Having owned around 20 digital cameras from basic point and shoots to full frame pro bodies, I can safely say that ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL, the less crowded sensor has a more pleasant image.

But I digress...the NEX-7 definitely has great (better than the 6) build quality, and you get the Tri-Navi system (I actual prefer the 6's controls).

6. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    I am very happy with the nex7, I love the ergonomic shape, in terms of quality I have no complaints even with its 24MP, or in low light conditions, I guess with a little PP we can fix the pics, also I have the nex5R, after updating the nex5n, now comes in my way EVF is really useful in those sunny days, I've gotten a good price I could not refuse.

7. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    1. That's the problem when somebody compares 100% crops from cameras with different resolution. If you downsize the NEX-7s files to 16 MP with a proper algorithm, noise actually should be at least as good as with the 6.

2. All things being equal, scientifically it's a fact that a higher resolving sensor should give you exactly the same image (only difference may be the amount of details, but that depends heavily on the lens) when magnified or printed the same size - higher res sensors only have advantages when magnifying or printing bigger. And again, a higher resolution is not a disadvantage in any way. That's just a feeling many have because they compare 100% crops.

I prefer the 7s control layout. I can't live with the pointless dial on the NEX-6 ... Oh, and I also couldn't live with the build quality. But that's probably just me only buying high-end electronic products for years, so I'm used to australian sheep leather, italian aluminum and glass of all sorts ...

8. LowriderS10

Mar 23, 2013
    Even at the same sizes I've noticed more base ISO noise in the NEX-7 than the NEX-6. I agree, the dial is going to be mostly redundant for me, but it'll come in handy now and again...but I feel the same way about the Exp Comp dial on the Fuji X-E1 (I only shoot full manual).

As for the build...I currently shoot a 5D Mark II with L lenses, and my last camera was the Holy Grail of DSLRs: the 1D Mark III....still, the NEX-6 lives up to what I considering "good build quality." (The NEX-7 does as well, of course!)

Shoot, I gotta run to class (teaching haha), but I'll answer the resolution thing in 45 mins! :D

9. LowriderS10

Mar 23, 2013
    We're not just talking about resolution, but overall image quality (hence why I brought low ISO noise, not resolution for comparison). Bigger pixels on a sensor (ie: fewer pixels on the same sized-sensor) are better at collecting light. Here's the example I use: You have a parking lot that can fit 20 Chevy Cavaliers or 10 Rolls Royces. Which would you rather have it filled with? Generally speaking, the bigger pixels will lead to more natural rendition of details as well as better low-light noise. Of course, this can all be countered with better JPEG engines, processors, etc, etc...

Anyways, I'm very picky about low-ISO noise (even more so than I am about high-ISO noise), and have looked at literally thousands of images and I've noticed that while many NEX-7 pictures exhibit noise at the base ISOs at 1600 px sizes, the NEX-6 needs to be viewed at 100% to show any, and even then it's less.

Either way, I'm not trying to be argumentative or anything, they're all excellent cameras...just throwing in my 2 cents' worth! :)

10. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think that bigger sensor (and asp-c is bigger sensor, almost perfect expect some special needs (like macro for me)) with lower sensor resolution makes much sense if your lens resolution is low. 16 MP Nexes resolution of 75 lp/mm is pretty high for my lenses.

As the noise is thermal (that is electrons are pushed thru semiconductor np-barrier because they have too much kinetic energy and higher temperature means more kinetic energy) it is constant with area. So if there are two sensors one having 1 MP and another having 4 MP the later one seems to have much more noise as the variation between pixels is greater. If you rescale image from later sensor to have 1 MP the noise should look same (in the perfect case).

I am not personally interested in Nex-7, may purchase Nex-6 when new model is out if price is suitable.