1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

iPod Shuffle - product phtoography

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Poki, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    As I already told you yesterday, I'm working hard on improving my product photography. So I'll post a new product shot now and then and hope to be able to improve them. To do that, I need your feedback and critique, so please feel free to type anything that comes to your mind below.

This time, it's a simple composition for a simple product.

<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/48126456@N05/14599292058" title="iPod Shuffle by Hannes Brecher, on Flickr"> 14599292058_d623fbf77c_b. "683" height="1024" alt="iPod Shuffle"></a>

Edit: Softened it a bit

• Like Like x 4
  2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Not so keen on this one as on your others. It looks like a VERY noisy image of the product on a smooth background.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    It's not noise it's metallic

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  4. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    I know - that's why I said it 'looks like'. Given Apple want to have a sleek/shiny feel to all their products, I'm saying that this image, doesn't suit this product.

5. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Sorry. Misunderstood ;)

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

6. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Hmm, interesting. I didn't even sharpen it or added any clarity at all. This is just how the RAW file turned out using the 50mm Touit. And farther softening a photo somehow doesn't feel right. But you might be right, I'll think of that next time.

Edit: I softened it a bit and turned even the standard sharpening off. I have to agree, looks better now.

7. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    It is better, but the metallic finish still isn't doing it any favours IMO. Not sure how you would remedy it though.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    There's no way I can make this file any better in this regard. I guess I should have gone the full rough way, with a composition which embraces rough metal instead of going the soft background way. Didn't think of that though, because, you know, an iPod Shuffle looks pretty soft to the bare eye. ;)

9. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    I guess one to try next time :)

10. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Same here but I do like the colors a lot!
    Also, do I see a slight tilt on the left or is it just my idea?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    This is probably just because of the shadow. I used the new tool in Capture One Pro to angle this and if you knew it, you'd know that this tool can't possibly fail. ;)

12. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Actually I do think it tilts a bit. Maybe its not the product itself but its shadow. If you see (and measure) the empty space below the ipod'ss shuffle shadow you can see it...
    I like how well you can take the critique haha :D

• Like Like x 1
  13. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I will re-measure it and tell you what I find. :)

And yeah, critique is why I'm here. It makes improving your work so much easier.