iPad Pro 2017 12.9... anyone use for editing?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Deadbear77, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    with two small children it's hard for me to escape upstairs to my office to work on photos on my Mac .... was looking at some reviews for the new iPad. Has anyone here had any experience with the iPad Pro? Looks like it's pretty fast. I know I have a stand alone version of Lightroom so I would not be able to use the creative cloud. No big deal to me. The affinity photo app looks promising. Any help to sway me either way would be appreciated.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    iPad. OR Nannies.

Only kiddin' Kev. :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I have the 9.7" iPad Pro, and with the Pencil and Affinity Photo it is a full-featured raw processing and image editing tool. I actually prefer Photo to the iPad version of Lightroom, though it still has some shortcomings. Most notably: lens profiles and batch processing. And it's also still a little buggy as well, though a lot better than the original release.

The Pencil is what makes the big difference for me. Being able to rest the palm of my hand on the screen while editing makes it much easier and more natural to work with than any other stylus. And I bet that would be even more important on the bigger screen of the 12.9" iPad Pro.

While traveling, I can get the results I want with the iPad Pro and Pencil, and they have made bringing along a laptop unnecessary for me.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Is it cumbersome to transfer back the edited images to say an external HD so your not bogging down the iPad memory? Can you use air drop to your Mac?

5. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    It is a little cumbersome. Though with 128GB of on my iPad Pro, short-term storage has never been an issue for me. And with the upcoming iOS 11, with its new file system, transferring images may be less onerous. Right now iCloud and DropBox transfers work well.

6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Tony is excited :D

Don't know if you've seen this

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    Thank for the post, Kevin and for sharing the video, Nick. This is extremely timely for me. I have been thinking about upgrading my iPad for a couple of weeks now. Photo editing is only a small part of what I would do with it on the go, but since I don't have a laptop and have been carrying a wireless hard drive with me when I travel to backup photos, the iPad could be a great option. Big issue for me is whether to go with the 10.5 or the 12.9 version. The big screen is great, but since I spend a lot of commuting time, I have always liked the idea of something smaller.

David, have you found the 9.7" limiting in any way?

8. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    A little, and that 10.5" is tempting. But life is full of trade offs, and as much as I'd enjoy the extra screen real estate of the 12.9", I just can't see putting it in the panniers of my motorcycle. :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Well thanks guys! I just picked up the 12.9 wifi 512 and the pencil. I'll be giving my review as soon as I receive the SD card reader!

• Like Like x 3
  10. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Btw, the 12.9 seems to be a great size for editing. The regular seemed good but my hands are rather large for editing on a smaller screen. I tried both out at the local store.

11. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    That was quick! ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Yep, iPad size is definitely a matter of personal preference. I picked up a 10.5" iPad Pro back at the beginning of July (along with a new iMac... boy, I've been spending a lot lately... sorry). I've always had 9.7" iPads, but Jennifer got one of the first generation 12.9" iPad Pros when they came out almost two years ago now. She has some farsightedness issues and wanted the biggest screen possible for reading and browsing. I liked the Pencil, which she got but didn't really use, so I've been itching to get a 9-10 inch sized iPad Pro since last year and a little "18 months no interest financing" made the decision easy. ;)
    When they announced Affinity Photo for iPad, I knew it was worth a try. I haven't given it much of a test yet, but am looking forward to it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    You should be able to AirDrop to your Mac from a new iPad as long as the Mac is on El Capitan or Sierra and is a relatively new Mac, at least 2013 or newer, I believe.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Jazzer

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    That would be difficult. :) I'm really torn. At first I was opposed to the idea of a 12.9 inch because I thought it would be too big to carry around day to day, but it's really not much heavier and I take a train to work, so I guess it's not that big of a deal. Also, in addition to all of the typical things and my proposed use for photo editing on the go, I use my iPad as a screen to hold sheet music and a larger screen would be very nice for that. Hmm. Maybe a 12.9 " plus an iPad mini? :)

Kevin, congrats. Interested to hear how you like it.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    While I did say that size is a matter of personal preference, not to mention usage and needs, I must say I'm not sure I'd want to carry and use a 12.9" on a train (if by train we are talking about the subway or other similar commuter train). My better-half has a 12.9" and while she does occasionally carry her iPad in on the subway, since getting the 12.9" she has done that less frequently, using her iPhone Plus instead for reading while riding.

P.S> - Did I mention I am really liking the overall size of the 10.5"? It seems to be a slight but noticeable upgrade from 9.7" - not too much bigger, but enough to make some uses a little bit better.

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I did a couple photo side jobs this month so the extra cash burned a hole right through my pocket.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I do have a Mac mini and it does support air drop, didn't know if it shrunk file sizes down durring transfer or if everything was kept original

18. Jazzer

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    That's helpful to know. By train, I mean commuter train (more like the MARC and VRE, I would imagine) as well as the subway (although I don't ever take my iPad out of my bag when on the subway). The 10.5 inch does seem like a good compromise, a little extra size but not really a change to the overall form factor which, if I'm being honest with myself, is really about as large as I would want for the majority of what I do with the iPad. There are just a couple of things that a larger screen would be nicer for, and I do wonder a little what the new iOS 11 features (multitasking and file managament, particularly) will be like on it vs the larger screen.