Interview with Zeiss - really interesting

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by tomO2013, Apr 12, 2015.

1. tomO2013

tomO2013 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    I came across this interview between Nick Granger and one of the Zeiss designers...

Makes for a fascinating interview. He touches on how/why there has been such an explosion in the quality of glass made within the last 30 years. Computers, Computers, computers looks to be the reason, but also the compounds used to make the physical glass...
    It's a great interview.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Kirkp

Kirkp TalkEmount Regular

Nov 2, 2014
    He makes an interesting observation around the 29 minute point that fast normal or wide angle lenses tend to have much more chromatic aberration when nearly wide open than 85mm or longer lenses. He considers 85mm to be ideal for people photography.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  3. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    The video is from last year, but a very interesting one that you can watch several times. However he didn't talk anything about the Sony Zeiss lenses when he talked about excellent Zeiss lenses other then the Otus ones...

CAD is the reason how third party manufacturers like Sigma/Samyang can design and produce excellent sharp lenses... Zeiss still has the T coating and Schott glass...
  4. tomO2013

tomO2013 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    I found his comments on colour dispersion to be particularly interesting and the level of effort that they go through to get such high performing glass is fascinating.
    One take away for me - glass technology has evolved extremely fast in the last few years giving us leaps and bounds better performance from modern glass (technically anyway) over older legacy designs, not just in terms of the optical design itself, but in terms of the R&D that has gone into the glass materials and coatings too. It's nice to see that technology is advancing not just on the sensor level (where people spend a lot of time looking) but also at the glass level too.