1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Internal flash accessory for NEX-7/NEX-6

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by ChangshaNotes, Feb 15, 2013.

1. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    .I needed to take a indoor photo using a remote and bounce flash so I just used an elastic band. Worked quite well and the elastic band doesn't add much weight to my bag.

WARNING!!! - Crappy phone pictures

image-1024x1024.

image-1024x1024.

Attached Files:

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Cool! That's what I call penny-tech!

3. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    I like dat! :)

4. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Much easier than trying to wrap a finger around it while trying to focus, hold steady, make adjustments, press the shutter.....

5. lowbone

lowbone TalkEmount Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    How close to a bounce surface do you have to be to get this to work? I"m asking because of the limited power of the on camera flash.

6. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Now Colin you're a GENIUS !! I've been trying to figure something like that ever since I discovered how good that built-in unit is !! Meaning I nearly never use my external flash anymore. I'm gonna try it right away !! And to answer lowbone's question, my ceiling is white but not particularly low (I guess rather a little higher than average) and it works great. I have assigned flash compensation to the right side of the thumb wheel, and I have my exposure adjustments at the tip of my fingers.

7. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    Thanks Colin! I'm definitely going to try that!

Looks like you've added a ring on top of the movie button as well.

8. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Ok I did try it. I advise everybody to use a LOSE band, so not to stress the unit's articulation to much.

9. sipsik

sipsik New to TalkEmount

Feb 22, 2013
    Hi,
    I just shared my DIY flash bounce trick with G+ community, but for people who are not there, here it is:

IMAG0127.

Basically I put a piece of my old credit card (yes, I keep them)

10. ChangshaNotes

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Yeah, I was one of the people that was always hitting the Record button. Not during shooting but just handling the camera in and out of my bag. The update to turn it off was important and since I don't shoot viseo often it really was enough but I put this little grommet over the record button and now I can leave the Record button ON in settings. I have to purposely hit the record button now.

11. ChangshaNotes

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Yeah, I should of mentioned this. thanks Claire.

12. ChangshaNotes

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Looks good with no worry of stress to the mechanism.

I don't have a problem moving the flash back with my finger and for most shots but for using a remote trigger or just tripod use it's nice to be able to set it.

13. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I do like the piece of credit card approach better, I think it's gentler on the mecanism in the long run. And since I use it like that on a daily basis, I need the most gentle solution available. I'll try it :)

14. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    My only worry would be forgetting that the card is in there and trying to close the flash with disastrous results. Perhaps a portion of business card stock would be better? At least it would have some give.

Then again, maybe I'm the only forgetful klutz around here. :p

15. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I still have use for my VISA card so I decided to build a bouncer with a piece of strong paper. Actually I taped two cut out to shape piece of a small packaging wrap (thin carton holding batteries). I really had to cut it very thoroughly it get the perfect dimensions that'd hold the flash back into place, 1 mm or 2 off and it wouldn't work. But after a couple of minutes I got it right.
    Now using it is a real pleasure, it lets me forget about holding the flash (which was always tricky to get the most optimum angle) and just shoot away. To celebate I got my Rokkor 50/1.4 MC and PEN F 38/1.8 out and those two lenses are still better than any native E mount I ever tried. By a couple of miles, too.

16. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I love it when a plan comes together. :)