1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Interesting rumors recap at SAR

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    The A7Siii was inevitable, I think, and I suppose the A6700, too. I'd heard rumors about the 24/1.4 and I think the 135/1.8 both of which would interest me (600mm too) for a reasonable cost. Which is unlikely.

3. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Feb 17, 2015
    I no longer reside in the demographic that those lenses are aimed at, unfortunately.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. fractal

fractal TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Interested in the 24mm 1.4. I can possibly afford one FE lens this year. Very torn among the following;

Sigma FE 35mm 1.4
    Batis 25mm f2

Laowa 15mm f/2

and now perhaps a 24mm 1.4

5. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    I'd be interested in a FE 24/1.4. The 200-600 sounds interesting, too, but I have no doubt i'd have to sell my other kidney.

Rather than an a6700, I think we need an a6000 mk 2.

6. quezra

quezra TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 22, 2012
    Having handled the FE 100-400, I can safely say I have zero interest in a 200-600, or any of the tele primes. They're going to be huge, and better for me to buy an RX10 for what little tele shooting I occasionally do.

7. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    It's good to see that Sony is vigorously developing the camera and lens lines, and they're clearly targeting the sports and wildlife photographers. And Sigma is looking at APS-C which is great news for APS-C users because Sony isn't really extending the (too limited) APS-C lens line-up. Just curious to see what the A6700 specs will be.

None of the stuff mentioned interests me. Oddly enough the Zeiss Batis 2/40 rumour wasn't included, even though it was published earlier on that same website :confused: .

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    I really liked the A6xxx bodies I've had, but can't imagine spending the money on one now with the A7iii being so close in price. Tele isn't my thing though, I guess then it might have an advantage over a cropped FF file. IF it took same grip and battery though... hmmmmm.

9. Tipton

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    The a6000 is still Sony's best selling camera. It's the cheap heroin of the camera market.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Just curious, which lens did your first kidney buy? :D 

Given the prices these are likely to have, you'd also save money with an RX10. Good idea.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    What improvements would you look for in an A6000 mk 2?

12. Tipton

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    Now that I think about it, not much. Z battery. Increase the buffer size, or improve readout. Improve the focus speed and area. Leave out IBIS, because not every camera actually needs it.

Add GPS :026:

13. quezra

quezra TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 22, 2012
    Take this from someone who would defend the ergonomics of the a7 series to all the doubters: The most important improvement is a second dial accessed with hand on the grip (the back control wheel isn't ergonomic enough, and I need EV for control over auto ISO, but also manual ISO when needed without menu diving). The current layout means using the two wheels for S and A, leaving auto-ISO as a necessity with no EV control). As an M mode shooter this has prevented me from looking seriously at APSC E-mount cameras after my experience with the NEX-5N. I know APSC DSLRs don't regularly even have the two dials of MILCs, but with the cost of these bodies slowly climbing, this requirement actually becomes increasingly non-negotiable for me. Exposure control is central to my style of photography.

The new Z battery would also be great. I think they should bring back the a5xxx line for the compact body (and old smaller battery, fewer controls but better touch screen) and move a6xxx to a7xxx for the full-featured one with the above changes. It's clear that the basic cost of the full featured a6xxx (with IBIS) doesn't have enough economies of scale to depreciate to an entry level offering at current a6000 prices, so they need to purpose-build the next $500 body. But that leaves room to differentiate at the top again and I would buy a third body (APSC) the minute they do.

On the other features, the a6500 already exceeds my use cases, so it is really just the ergonomics and battery.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.