1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Interesting dilemma...trying to decide which of these to enlarge / frame

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by roundball, May 9, 2014.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    1980's...Outer Banks, North Carolina...Looking east out across the Atlantic, sun is trying to get up behind some low ocean level clouds.
    I like both scenes...each has similarities, yet each has notable differences.
    I'm leaning towards one but we all see things differently...curious what others might think.

"if you could only enlarge & frame one"

• Like Like x 2
  2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Tough call. I like the small wave acrion in the foreground of the first and the reflections in the second. Reflections win. I'd either lighten the foreground or crop it off first though. Glad I don't have to actually make that decision. ;)

3. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    With water you need to see which one expresses "immediacy." That is, when looking closely, which one better expresses the feeling of water. I don't think we can tell from this size image, but I would guess the first.

4. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    It's a hard one, both are nice but I would go for the second one, more contrast in the sky IMO and the reflection looks very nice!

5. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Second one. Better clouds and reflections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    First one for me because of its more pleasing composition, second one has too much black foreground for me.

7. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Good observations...my struggle has been that:
    The 1st photo sun's rays are more prominent and catch the eye, which I recall is what grabbed my attention in the first place...plus there is some small wave action.
    The 2nd photo doesn't have the waves but has more color in the clouds and the reflections on the wet beach definitely add an element.

Here's the second photo again with much of the black foreground cropped out:

8. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Did you try to light up a little bit the foreground?

9. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I too like the second. More color in the clouds and stronger reflections. But it's all personal taste.

10. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    My leaning was towards the second one for the same reasons some mentioned here...and with more of the black foreground cropped out, it's the one I'm going to enlarge.

As to lightening the foreground, I don't know how / or don't have the PP software to do that selectively.
    I have basic brightness / contrast / mid-tone adjustment capability that's built into Microsoft Windows and whatever I attempt to do affects the entire image...the down side to trying to lighten the foreground was that it made the strength of the rest of the image sort of blah.

11. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    To light up the foreground you'd need lightroom, everybody says it's the best. I don't have it but with Picasa (it's free) you can light up the whole image and then put a graduated filter on the sky to get it back as you want. It's not the best, but as it is free, it can do the job quite well sometimes. You can even erase some stuff like dust on the sensor that eventually come in. And you also have a couple of other tunes and it's really easy to use. As I don't have lightroom yet, that's what I use. If you try it, tell me what you think.

12. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick

I agree.

First one for the less black foreground but 2nd one for the sky/clouds pattern. Or crop the 2nd one like you did :D